View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Thought to share this latest post from Austin's site. My heart so breaks for him and his family. Thanks so much for the cards.

Austin has an infection from his right implant. Gosh, the drainage is so thick that it is extremely difficult to get it clean prior to applying his antibiotics on his eye.

We had experience with his left eye but it wasn’t suture together like the right eye, plus the left eye did not have radiation so it was not as difficult to healed post-operative. This looked totally foreign to me. Poor Austin he fought with everything he got, I have no ideas how a 3 years old has so much strength.

It takes me sitting on him crying as usual with my thigh pinning on his head prying his eye open as his father applying the medications. Of course his father refused to do this because he would be on Austin hate list.

As soon as I am done, I would hold Austin immediately and tell him that I am sorry that I have to do this to him and that I love him. He tells me, it okay Mommy. It still hurt so much but you have to do what you have to do so he can heal soon. It is frustrating, but we are thankful that at least the pathology is negative.

We just hope and pray that it is just an infection, not an implant rejection. Since Austin do not have very much tissue in the right eye. They would have to redo it by taking tissues from his mouth and do a graft in his eye if that is the scenario which Dr. Shields has already prepared us for this on our last visit.

Please help us pray that it is just an infection on the right implant.

Thank you very much for checking on Austin.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!