View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #1092
tigerlily55
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkes View Post
I looked up 'cult' and it is defined as a group that focusses on religious worship with an exclusive ideology and ritual practices.

I checked your 'here' link and as an atheist I would have to agree with the following Science of the Mind statements:
The bible is not the literal word of God.
There is no devil.
Heaven and Hell are not actual places.
There is no sin.

Of course, as an atheist I would go further and say there is no God either, but I would say that the Science of the Mind is considerably less 'cult-like' than Christianity with its religious symbols (cross), teachings (bible) and rituals (church services).
Stephanie
I should have been clearer. The link was to show why the Xtian relative thought it was a cult. As I said, to me it looks like a sort of new age-y group, or one that is trying to give people a replacement for traditional religion.

This excerpt from this Ernest Homes book sounds like someone trying to bring science into the equation although I don't think most scientists would consider his view of science acceptable.
...In his book The Science of Mind, Ernest Holmes stated "Religious Science is a correlation of laws of science, opinions of philosophy, and revelations of religion applied to human needs and the aspirations of man."...

Since they still believe in God and that god caused the universe they lose my vote.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!