Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question small gripe about Tombow Le Plume II markers...

I've been thinking about adding a set of Tombow Le Plume II double-ended markers to my craft supplies. The problem I've run into is that the pre-packaged sets they have for sale do not make any sense. If you buy all the sets you end up with several duplicates (or triplicates, or quadruplicate in one instance), and there are over 20 colors that are not in any set.

So, I'm reduced to trying to figure out which combination of sets yield the most individual markers with the least number of duplicates, then fill in the rest by buying individual markers. Problem with buying individual markers is you can't get any really good deals with coupons or sales.

I've found one site that you can get a set of 12 that you pick the colors for at a better price than buying individual, but not as good as the manufacturer's sets that I can get 40% off.

Anyone else feeling my pain? Is there any other options that I've yet to discover?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tombow and Marvy Le Plume's are two different brands of markers.
If Tombow is what you are looking for,
Tombow Dual Brush Pen Sets

and

ART SUPPLIES

have the best prices that I have been able to find for sets or open stock. I bought all mine from Tombow Dual Brush Pens - Discount Art Supplies at In2Art.com because they have excellent, fast, reasonable shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

duh, me. had a brain fart moment. should not have, since I spent the last couple of days typing in Marvy and Uchida into google so many times. I do mean the Marvy Uchid Le Plume II markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I know that feeling, lol. Are you planning on using the markers to water color with? I only ask because if you are IMO the Tombows are a better marker for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Joann's has the Tombow markers on sale right now for $2.09 each. I bought many of them separately as I too, saw that there were duplicates in the packs. Joann's may even have a $5 shipping fee right now too. Fees for shipping is where we have to watch out for the best deal. Sometimes it doesn't pay to have $5 shipping if you can't get the sale price. Joann's doesn't often have sales with $5 shipping at the same time but you may luck out in this department.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I just checked the circular I get in the mail from Joann's and also their website. No free shipping but I have two coupon codes for you. Today is the last day for 10% off your your total purchase, including sale items. The code for that is DGSE150. Also, 40% one regular priced item. Code DES162. Starting June 5th through the 11th there's also a 50% off any regular priced item. Code DFS162. If you decide to use the code for 6/6 to 6/11 and it comes up incorrect code when you check out, then put in DPS162. The print is very tiny and it could be an F or a P. The markers sets are on sale for $22.49 for a 10 pack. Their shipping I believe is $6.95 but I'm not sure. So.....don't know if this is a good deal or not.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the Marvy's and the Tombows, and much prefer the Tombows. I have had them about 15 years, since I first started stamping. The Tombows are still going strong - the Marvys have long since dried up, and what was left of the ink mushed up at the tip (the larger tip). The Tombows have a better tip that is more like a brush than the Marvys, and their blender pens work really well. They can be stored vertically or horizontally with no problem. (I read that from the manufacturer after I first bought the Tombows and have always stored them vertically.) I started out with the Tombows, and bought some of the Marvys to fill in some color choices I needed. But I wouldn't bother with the Marvys again.

Hope this info helps in your decision...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
I have the Marvy's and the Tombows, and much prefer the Tombows. I have had them about 15 years, since I first started stamping. The Tombows are still going strong - the Marvys have long since dried up, and what was left of the ink mushed up at the tip (the larger tip). The Tombows have a better tip that is more like a brush than the Marvys, and their blender pens work really well. They can be stored vertically or horizontally with no problem. (I read that from the manufacturer after I first bought the Tombows and have always stored them vertically.) I started out with the Tombows, and bought some of the Marvys to fill in some color choices I needed. But I wouldn't bother with the Marvys again.

Hope this info helps in your decision...
I agree, I don't like the Marvy's - really messy when the ink is mushed at the top!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #9  
ckv
Kookie Creator

I agree, the tombows are better. I've had the marvys for a few years and they dried up. I would go with the tombows...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I have both and like both for different reasons. Tombow tip is more flexible and last a long time. I like it for filling in images.

I like the Marvy Brush Markers (not Le Plume) for edging paper and coloring on stamps as the tips are thicker. However, my orignal Marvy's bought years and years ago are still juicy but the newer ones dry out faster. My LSS is switching from Marvy to Tombows so it looks like I'll probably give up on Marvys once these all dry out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 07:17 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

If after reading the posts from the folks that don't like the LePlumes you still want them, I can give you the list I worked up of the sets to buy that give you the most possible markers with the fewest duplicates. I can't tell you exactly what markers will duplicate with these sets, and there might be a few colors that you could get in some of the other sets, but when I created my list, I decided that it wasn't worth the price of the set, even at 40% off, to get it for just those colors.

Here are the sets I bought: Basic, Victorian, Renaissance, Primary, Bright, Pastel. I don't have the original spreadsheet where I listed these all out anymore, but I seem to remember that after these 6 sets, every additional set added at least 2 or 3 duplicates and I wasn't interested in that.

I also have to say that I never added to my collection with other individual colors, and haven't really missed them. Which is unusual, because I am usually all about having to have every single possible color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Default Marvy Le Plume II markers

This is very informative to me as I just bought many Marvy watercolor markers and they seem to be dried out, even out of the package. I didn't even know Tombow made these. Live and learn, I guess! Anyone know how to rescue these Marvy pens (meaning revive them)?
Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2016, 01:49 PM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappyScotView Post
This is very informative to me as I just bought many Marvy watercolor markers and they seem to be dried out, even out of the package. I didn't even know Tombow made these. Live and learn, I guess! Anyone know how to rescue these Marvy pens (meaning revive them)?
Carol
Uchida makes Marvy and LePlume not Tombow.

I only buy my Marvy brush markers directly from Uchida. IMHO the Marvy's are not as popular as other markers so they sit on store shelves longer. The brush markers stay wet for a long time but they are not as good as the ones I bought years ago that are still wet. You can refill the markers with the Marvy ink pad ink, just like you do with SU markers.

I've never liked the LePlume but I love the brush markers for direct to stamp inking. I never use the fine tip and I prefer the thick brush tip instead of the finer brush.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2016, 03:14 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Just so you know, it's not only these markers that get duplicated when buying sets. The popular equivalent to Copics over here, Letrasets Promarker, do exactly the same thing. They have a whole range of sets, but the only ones that contain no duplicates are the Limited Edition Seasonal sets!
Reply With Quote Likes