View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #2688
SurfLola
Polyshrink Goddess

I was concerned before I tried this with so much liquid going in and no thickener, however, the pasta absorbs it and it was really good. I used a whole box of pasta because I have 6 in the family to cook for. Also I used a rotisserie chicken to save time but I think it was bland. Next time I will cook the chicken myself. With 6 people to cook for its difficult to make things that everyone likes but for the most part, everyone was down with this dish.

Skillet Chicken, Broccoli, and Penne

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed and sliced thin (or precooked rotisserie chicken)
1 medium onion, minced
Salt
6 medium garlic cloves, minced
tsp red pepper flakes
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
cup dry white wine
8 oz penne pasta
8 oz broccoli florets (approximately 3 cups)
2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (approximately 1 cup), plus more for serving
Ground black pepper

Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a 12 inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add the chicken, break up any clumps, and cook without stirring until it begins to brown, about 1 minute. Stir the chicken and continue to cook until cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken to a medium bowl, cover with foil, and set aside.

Add another Tbsp of oil to the skillet along with the onion and 1/4 tsp salt and cook over medium heat until the onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the broth, water, wine, pasta, and tsp salt. Increase the heat and cook, stirring often, for 12 minutes. Add the broccoli and continue to simmer until the pasta and broccoli are tender and the liquid has thickened, about 5 minutes longer.

Return the chicken to the skillet to warm through. Off the heat, stir in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve, passing additional Parmesan separately.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!