View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 04:37 AM   #2074
JoBear2
Glitter Guru

Question

I'm in love..... seriously in love.....with watercolour pencils!! We had a planned power outage of about 5 hours during this week = no fiddling on the computer + no light to craft in my craft room, so I took a pack of 48 Faber Castell ordinary watercolour pencils to play with on the table out on our decking. I already love the Gamsol Magic technique with my Prismas and just hadn't got around to trying the watercolour pencils - and oh, I am so glad I did. It really rocked my world! Isn't it nice when you discover something that just makes you feel all happy and bubbly inside - like a little party going on in the heart. I know they are only pencils, but hope you guys understand how I feel I spent every spare minute colouring for the rest of the week!

Now, this has got me wanting to ask a bit of advice please: Is there any appreciable difference between the main brands of watercolour pencils, eg: Derwent Watercolour and Inktense, Prismacolor, Faber Castell Albrecht-Durer, Lyra Rembrandts etc? Bearing in mind that I am in Australia, prices of pencils are heart-stopping! The Derwent Watercolours are the cheapest (around $100), next are the Inktense (both for a set of 72) - then the prices rise sharply. Would I be better off filling some of my gaps with individual pencils eg: most pencils like the expensive Albrecht-Durers are about $2 each? I could never afford a whole set of 120 Albrecht-Durer - way over $200 is too much. But I hear that they are great pencils. It's all a bit overwhelming really. I do need some more colours for skintones - the colour range in my current Faber Castells for this is very limited.

Appreciate any advice you might be able to offer

My Gallery My Blog

Be with those who bring out the best in you, not the stress in you!

Last edited by JoBear2; 03-18-2011 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: typo!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!