Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #1  
lcj
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile how do you store/organize your scrap paper....

I am a paper hog....I keep everything....I cannot throw out even the tiniest scrap. I don't have a craft "room" as of yet....(under construction shortly), however, I do have an area, but everything has to be in portable bins or such...nothing adhered to the walls as this space is temporary. Just looking for ideas for keeping my scraps....right now it just sits in one big pile in a rubbermaid tote at my feet.....thanks for sharing!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I keep an Iris (I think that's the brand) 6 drawer plastic cart in the cubby under my desk--and I throw scraps in there by color. It's really handy when you're looking for smaller pieces or making cards. I use a lot more of my scraps this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 325 Likes on 228 Posts

Same idea as nayttap. I have a drawer rack - silver metal and 10 colored drawers. I throw the scraps in the drawers by color. It's so quick and easy. Every so often, I go into the drawers and organize a bit. It's very handy, as nayttap said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I have a milk crate type of plastic box, with hanging file folders for each color. In each file folder is a manila folder as well...anything smaller than a full sheet goes in the hanging file folder, anything smaller than a card front, goes in the manila folder. When i need a blue piece of paper, i rummage through the folder to find the shade of blue i need and then use that up first, before grabbing a full sheet!
Perfectly portable, sits on my desk at the end. would also work in a file cabinet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Default scrap storage

I use a legal expandafile thing I purchased at walmart originally for my stickers, I now use it for my paper scraps. It holds a TON of paper and since it is legal paper size it holds most of my scraps that are still 12 inches long. It is sturdy plastic and had a handle so I can easily transport it to crops. Right now I have the smaller scraps in ziploc bags, not sure if that is working but it is nice to pull out the bag instead of searching for that perfect tiny piece.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I'm OCD when it comes to my craft stuff. All scraps (unless it is the last little piece) goes back where it came from. If I pull out a full sheet of Old Olive, all Old Olive scraps goes back with Old Olive. I have the Cropper Hopper vertical storage thingys and the 12x12 cardstock is stored there with a 10x13envelope in front of it with the color name on it and all the scraps in there.

Patterned paper is the same, if I take a piece out of a paper packet/book, the scraps go back with the packet.

Scraps from individual patterned paper sheets all go in a 12x12 plastic envelope, but that gets raided by my mom almost weekly, so it doesn't stay full very long.

Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

so far what I have bee ndoing the last couple of months is using one paper and not using another one until I finish it. That has helped me so much in not keeping so many scraps.
the last ones I did have was a big box and gave away to kids ministry at church.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a hanging folder box (Rubbermaid I think?) that slides under my table.
The hanging files are organized by color. Then I have two manilla folders in each. One is for full sheets of paper and the other is for scraps.
Example: Folder 1:Blue Folder 2: Blue Scraps.
I always look in the scrap folder first before using a new sheet. I save the smallest of scraps and this way of organizing has really helped to use them up. I'm wasting a lot less paper and it's easy to re-file them. I have added folders to organize my SU paper and Copic coloring paper. Example: Old Olive has it's own manilla folder but it's in the Green hanging file.
I hope my explantion makes sense. Now I just need to figure out how to organize my dp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

I try not to have any.....and here is how I do it.
12 x12 paper is cut into 6x6 squares and filed in a smallish IRIS tote with dividers I made. 8.5 x 11 cardstock is first sliced into two card bases, and then one base is cut into two mats..... Then I cut or punch from only one of the smaller pieces. generally, what is left is too small to use for anything except maybe compost? but in case there is an area large enough for a punch or two--I grab my modern label, tab or word window punch and then file the results in my small (I mean small) really strong boxes that hold all my embellishments and are stacked in towers of 10 atop my stamp cabinet.
Note: although I am a scrapbooker too, I find that I don't use my DSP for scrapbooking....I buy scrapbooking paper for that (hope that makes sense) in other words--for me the papers are from different places and different sizes to begin with so it isn't a problem.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dell68View Post
I have a hanging folder box (Rubbermaid I think?) that slides under my table.
The hanging files are organized by color. Then I have two manilla folders in each. One is for full sheets of paper and the other is for scraps.
Example: Folder 1:Blue Folder 2: Blue Scraps.
I always look in the scrap folder first before using a new sheet. I save the smallest of scraps and this way of organizing has really helped to use them up. I'm wasting a lot less paper and it's easy to re-file them.
Mine is similar to this. Except that, to save space, I have just hanging file folders labeled by color family (e.g. blues, browns, reds, oranges, etc.). All cardstock and decorative paper scraps go in the folders by color.

Then when I'm looking for something I go to the hanging file folder first, before cutting a new piece. That was a hard habit to break, but like Dell68 said, you do waste less paper once you get into the habit.

Been doing this for 2+ years and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I try to make cards from the entire sheet of DSP. I hardly ever make just one card from a sheet of paper. I make at least four. Of course, I send out 99% of my cards, so it makes sense for me to do this.

Card stock just goes back in with the the container it came from. Then I can find it if I need a little scrap.

Works nice for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm a paper hog too. I used to store my scraps in hanging files but they got too fat so I just changed to 12 x 12 plastic scrapbook cases and have one for almost every color and found this so much easier to use to find just the right size and color scrap I need. I look in my scrap boxes before I cut into a new piece of cardstock and slowly my scrap boxes are getting smaller.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Large scraps go back in the folder with the rest of the same color.

For smaller scraps, I bought 3 zipper top plastic envelopes from Staples. I use one for neutrals, one for blues/greens/purples and one for reds/yellows/oranges.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I gave up on organizing my scraps in any way other than keeping solid and pattern paper separate lol. I did however sit down this week (and it took 3 days!) and went through all my scraps and used them to make card bases, cut out various die shapes and even used my embossing folders on a bunch! I'm now down to one small stack of patterned paper and one clam shell case with small pieces for layering. I'm determined to not let them get out of hand again lol! Famous last words!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I used to use something like an expanding check holder to save my scraps, at least I think that's what it was. It had a section for every month, and these I labeled with names of colors. That worked quite well, but eventually I outgrew it. I now have another clear plastic expanding file with a handle on the top. I think I bought it at Office Max, and it measures about 9 1/2" wide x 8" tall x 5 1/2" deep. I'm not sure what it's original purpose was (photo saver?), but it works well for saving and organizing my paper scraps. It has tabs on the tops of the expanding sections that you can label with color names, but since it's clear I haven't really done that. I like it because I can carry it to my coffee table if I want to work there, and it's quite compact.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I recycle anything smaller than 3" and the rest I keep in clear plastic portfolios that I picked up from the dollar store. I have them separated by color family and all stacked in a nice rectangle basket.

Before I did this I would cut up my card stock and just stick scraps into the basket and, before long, it began to overflow. Plus, I was cutting up good paper without looking to see if I had any scraps already.

Now, I just go to the basket before anything else to get my supply. I can even carry the basket into the other room if I need more desk space to spread out on.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 05:53 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I keep my 8 1/2 x 11 paper in hanging file boxes. Every color has a file and scraps of that color go inside a quart-size ziploc bag inside that file. I keep my dsp in a 12x12 envelope-type file with about 12 compartments (each compartment has a ziploc bag for scraps). This helps keep my craving for dsp under control; my rule is that I can only have as much dsp as I have compartments for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

I just organized some of my scraps last night.

I took some ziplock baggies and sorted them first by manufacturer (I use a lot of the same paper companies so it's easy for me to do so) and then all cardstock scraps into one bag.

Then for the non-identifiable papers I'm going to sort by colour also into ziplock bags.

I should say that most of my scraps are less than 6x6" so using bags works fine for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use small zip lock sandwich bags by colors. Toss them all in a Sterlite drawer. Larger scraps are with the uncut sheets of card stock in upright storage on a shelf. Patterned paper scraps are kept with full size sheets.
I don't have enough paper to need anything more sophisticated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I have three clear boxes that I re-purposed. Children's large foam stamps on handles came in them.

I have nuetrals together
Blues, greens, yellows together
Reds, pinks, oranges together
I don't save anything small than maybe 5"x5" or a bit larger.

These boxes/containers are about the size of an expandable folder...They are made of very hard plastic and I just couldn't throw them away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennvView Post
I keep my 8 1/2 x 11 paper in hanging file boxes. Every color has a file and scraps of that color go inside a quart-size ziploc bag inside that file.
I do the same as Jenny. Before grabing a full sheet, I check the ziplock bag in front and usually I can find the right size!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 05:07 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
Mine is similar to this. Except that, to save space, I have just hanging file folders labeled by color family (e.g. blues, browns, reds, oranges, etc.). All cardstock and decorative paper scraps go in the folders by color.

Then when I'm looking for something I go to the hanging file folder first, before cutting a new piece. That was a hard habit to break, but like Dell68 said, you do waste less paper once you get into the habit.

Been doing this for 2+ years and love it!

Exactly what I do and it's been working several years. I have a Cropper Hopper 12x12 hanging file folder/holder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouseprintsView Post
I'm OCD when it comes to my craft stuff. All scraps (unless it is the last little piece) goes back where it came from. If I pull out a full sheet of Old Olive, all Old Olive scraps goes back with Old Olive. I have the Cropper Hopper vertical storage thingys and the 12x12 cardstock is stored there with a 10x13envelope in front of it with the color name on it and all the scraps in there.

Patterned paper is the same, if I take a piece out of a paper packet/book, the scraps go back with the packet.

Scraps from individual patterned paper sheets all go in a 12x12 plastic envelope, but that gets raided by my mom almost weekly, so it doesn't stay full very long.

Trish
I'm the same way, now I just need to use more of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2011, 03:33 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

I have very limited space as I live in a tiny house. However, we foun d a corner nook that my Hubby built a cupboard that`s 13" x 39"...floor to ceiling , that I house all my stamp stuff in....so i have to be creative in my storage to make everything fit.
I have an open plastic bin, aprox. twice the size of a shoe box that i put all of my colored cardstock in. I have another one aprx 1/2 the size of a shoe box that I use to put my scraps in (if they are 1/2 sheet or less.....however, I know some scraper/stampers save every scrap....I do not. I save even quite small pieces, but if they can`t first be cut into a square or rectangle of a usable size to be put into that bin, then I toss it.)
When I put scraps in I put likish colors together so that I`m not going through the whole pile, just that color section....and ifIi find an oddball color stuck in somewhere that it does`nt belong, then I just relocate it in it`s rightful spot.
Whne looking for a colored piece of cardstock I always check my scraps first before going to my full sheets.
My printed papers are stored in cheap, floppy kinds of note books with clear plastic pages. I sort according to colors (one has pinks, reds, oranges, yellows, browns and the other has purples, blues, greens, black prints and "odd balls".
I have several pages of like colors and arrange them by putting a whole sheet towards the back of each clear plastic page (If I have more than one alike then I keep them all together.) Then when I have scraps of similar colors , but the smaller pieces in on top of the bigger pieces.... putting the smaller pieces towards the front insures that I can always see what`s behind it.
It is very easy to flip through these folders and I can lay the card i`m working on right onto the page and see if the color will work....without taking the printed paper out until I find the one I want to use. Again...I do not save wierd shaped pieces that can`t be cut into a square or rectange as they seem to catch on each other...and that drives me crazy!)
I bought the plastic bins at Wal-Mart(threw the tops that came with them away and use them open) Folders and clear pages came from there as well, but I`m sure you could find something similiar at other places.
IU have been making cards for about 15v years now and have found that this system works every well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2011, 03:42 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

PS
Another thing....
Storing colored tiny things such as brads, eyelets,, buttons.....I use multi day pill organizers (clear ones) and sort according to colors. Then I stand them up on ends inthe back of plastic desk organizers that are tiered. In the front tires i put things small enough that I can still see the colors in the pill organizers. (Like I have a small dollar store size photo-brag book full of stickers, some tiny clear plastic boxes that straight pins came in, full of little trinkets, and small sheets of stick on pearls and rinestones etc. This puts a lot of stuff within sight and easy reach, without taking up much workspace.

Last edited by stampit3d; 07-07-2011 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: could`nt read my own spelling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2011, 04:06 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouseprintsView Post

Trish
This sounds like how I store mine...I have a Cropper Hopper vertical storage thingee for each color family, with each color having a Cropper Hopper Paper Pouch (for the scraps) and the Cardstock filed in front. I used to store both 12x12 and 8.5x11 together, but then my wonderfully talented FIL made me a cabinet for my 8.5x11 paper. But ALL my scraps go in the Paper Pouches and I always check there first before I grab a new piece of paper! Current DSP is stored similar and I put a sticker on the Paper Pouch that tells me the name of the DSP and what color CS coordinates with it.

Pics of my Paper Storage (12x12 and scraps):
Attached Thumbnails
how do you store/organize your scrap paper....-12x12-paper-storage.jpg   how do you store/organize your scrap paper....-12x12-paper-storage-color-labels.jpg   how do you store/organize your scrap paper....-paper-scrap-storage.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

This sounds like how I store mine...I have a Cropper Hopper vertical storage thingee for each color family, with each color having a Cropper Hopper Paper Pouch (for the scraps) and the Cardstock filed in front. I used to store both 12x12 and 8.5x11 together, but then my wonderfully talented FIL made me a cabinet for my 8.5x11 paper. But ALL my scraps go in the Paper Pouches and I always check there first before I grab a new piece of paper! Current DSP is stored similar and I put a sticker on the Paper Pouch that tells me the name of the DSP and what color CS coordinates with it.

Pics of my Paper Storage (8.5x11):
Attached Thumbnails
how do you store/organize your scrap paper....-8.5x11-paper-cabinet2.jpg   how do you store/organize your scrap paper....-8.5x11-paper-cabinet.jpg   how do you store/organize your scrap paper....-8.5x11-paper-cabinet-close-up-color-labels.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2011, 04:25 AM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

I store my cs scraps in sheet protectors. One sheet protector for each color. These I keep in a plastic magazine holder. If it is almost a full sheet I put it back with the full sheets. Full sheets I keep separated by color, both cs and patterned paper alike, in the large flat rate boxes you can get for free at the post office. I cut off one end and store those in the plastic cubes under my table. Everything is right where I need it. I do not have a craft room, just a corner of the guest room/computer room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2011, 05:25 AM   #29  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Here's a blog post that includes a video how I organize my paper.

Not sure if it's workable for many people, but it works for me.

Hope it helps give you some ideas.

Happily Ever Crafter: How I organize my paper

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

I use the Thin Stufftainers to store my solid cardstocks (mostly SU and PTI). I keep those scraps in the Stufftainers on top of the stack. I also use a lot of 6x6 and 8x8 pads. I usually stick larger scraps back in the pad or even paper clip smaller scraps in there. For loose patterned scraps, I just have a tray and try to use them up on cards or use them for scraps or recycle as I clean it out. In the past, I've given my friend some of my scraps for her young daughter to craft with but instead she often hoards them for herself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I use a 3 drawer plastic organizer that is large enough to hold 8.5x11paper. I sort by warm, cool, and neutral. Pattern paper goes in by whatever I consider the dominate color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #32  
Glitter Guru

I have an office metal drawer unit, and I use one row of drawers for all my scrap paper. One color for each drawer. This worked best for me, because I just can't throw away paper. I know I should work on that and to not think of paper as something with feelings, you know... hee hee! Anyway, these drawers I can pull out and put on my desk, so it's easy to look through my scrap stash. Most of the drawers are full, especially the greens and blues. You can see the photo here: * TINKER PLANET - My Planet 2011

Hth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how do you store/organize your scrap paper....

Does anyone save wrapping paper/tissue paper for crafts? If so how do you store it? I have very limited space and need some ideas for storing it.
Reply With Quote Likes