View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #187
afdish
Matboard Maniac

I have done a lot of research on alternatives for certain tools and supplies. I have made my own stamp cleaner (but different recipe than Betty) and a stamp scrubber pad. I looked at several cleaner recipes, and decided on 2 TBSP Glycerin, 1 TSP Baby Wash, fill remaining 8oz bottle with distilled water. Was so easy. I got little 2 oz spray bottles, and the glycerin from Walmart (in the first aid section). Found 8oz bottle to mix it in at HL. And for the stamp scrubber, I found a large foam paint pad at Home Depot (my local Lowes only had the smaller ones). I cut it in half so it will have one side for wet and one side for dry just like the SU stamp scrubber. I was looking for options on what to put it in, preferably something that had equal depth on both sides, and completely lucked out. My DH had this small case that one of his gadgets came in, that he didn't need, and the paints pads fit in it perfectly! Before I found it, I'd looked through several craft stores and WM, Target, etc. Couldn't find anything that was perfect, so I started to think of something I could make. I figured I could cut three rectangles of heavy acetate plastic just a bit larger than the paint pads, put velcro on two, bind two along the long side in such a way that it flips open to lay flat for use, and closes for storage. The third piece of acetate would be tethered to the short side of one of the first two pieces of acetate in such a way that it flips and stores underneath that side while the scrubber is in use, and then flips back to rest between the two paint pads when it is closed for storage to keep the wet side from transferring any residue to the dry side. I might still do this using two of the full large paint pads (instead of cutting one in half), for use with larger stamps, like background stamps. The cool thing about these foam paint pads is they don't have any plastic backing on them list the SU ones do, so you can run them through the dishwasher without having to worry about that backing getting warped. And these paint pads don't shed.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!