View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 07:09 AM   #145
jeanne3579
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzgurl View Post
I posted tutorials on my blog back before Christmas on making little gift boxes and decorative cones - both from old Christmas cards. You can find them HERE.

The attached thumbnails are of a card made with a diecut Kleenex box and a flower made from wire-edge ribbon, the other pieces cut from the same box (you get lots from just one box), and a card made with embossed and punched cardboard from a cake mix box.

I'm another faithful follower of Mel (stampztoomuch), and have made several embossing/texture plates following her tutorial. I'm also one who uses markers to alter the colors of embellishments (and cardstock, too, if needed...)

I've recently hauled out all of my old lettering stencils to make my own "diecut" alphabets. A card I made for a recent challenge with them (and what I did to make them) is HERE. I'm looking at other "old" tools and supplies to see what "new" ways I can use them, too!

Thanks, everyone else, for the great ideas!
I, too was going to mention using tissue boxes for background paper. There re some beautiful ones out there! Your cards are sensational. My boxes made from cards come out similar to yours, but the process is simpler. I don't know how to attach things here, but perhaps I can explain it.
Here goes:
Place a ruler diagonally from corner to corner and make a small line at he intersection each way, creating an X at the center. Then simply fold all side edges to that point and crease. Cut along the folds from the long ends to where they intersect with the folds from the short sides. You should have 4 cuts. Fold up the short sides, folding in the flap created by the cut, then fold up the long sides and fold over the excess which holds the flaps together. The bottom can be made from the inside section of the card in the same manner, or cut from a same-size piece of card stock. If the card is exactly square, there will be no extra flap to fold over to hold it together, so it will require tape or glue. This method makes the biggest boxes out of what is available as there are no double folds. Hope that is a bit clearer than mud. PM me if you want an email with the instructions as I know how to attach to an email!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!