View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 03:28 AM   #86
blwaganer
Compulsive Stamper

Talking Bakers Twine Experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnorth View Post
I never throw out packaging without thinking about whether it has papercraft potential. Lots of clear packging is great for clear card bases (if it's big enough) or for die cutting "ghost" shapes. Corrugated card packaging can make interesting textural layers and is especially useful on masculine cards.

Buttons get snipped off any clothing that's going in the rag bag and if it's a pretty fabric (hubby has some nice shirts!) then I might well save some of that for use instead of patterned paper. Shirts that are very worn on collar and cuffs tend to have lots of useable fabric in the back and even the fronts. As I often stitch on cards I tend to attach fabric that way.

I'm another one who colours white or ivory ribbon or pearls with a Copic to tone with my project.

Soda cans can be die cut for metallic embellishments and if any of you girls buy tomato paste in tubes rather than cans (I know it's less common in the US but Italian grocery stores apparently carry it in tubes quite often) then the metal from the tube is fantastic stuff. It get a rich gold colour from the acid in the tomato paste and it embosses beautifully (couple of projects made with it attached here).

If you work in an office or know someone who does, be alert when any filing gets sorted in case any old and dog eared file folders get tossed. Rescue them out of the recycling - they make great kraft cardstock, just trim off the ragged edges.

I improvise on tools too - I use a map pin as a paper piercer and have a couple of plastic canvas shapes (square and circle) that I use as piercing templates for lines and circles. My stamp positioner is made of Lego bricks (positioning sheets - another use for that clear packaging plastic!).

I've been meaning to try twisting sewing thread to make a cord to see how close I can get to the baker's twine look. I quite often twist a plain cord so I just need to experiment with the best way to get the stripe.

I may think of more, I'll come back if I do!
Try embroidery thread which is a little thicker and may be easier to work with.
Maybe 4 strands of white/cream and 2 strands of color.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!