View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 04:24 AM   #176
Crafty Math Chick
Forum Fanatic

Cool!

I hope I never get cancer though - I am allergic to the chili pepper, and thus to Capsaicin as well! (Tylenol too!!)

Happy thoughts & prayers to this person & his family!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsmom View Post
Extreme pain around his mouth and an infection at the port site. Spent lots of hours in the ER. His mom, Judy's friend, Kathe, is just exhausted and pretty emotionally fragile.
this helped my neighbor when she went through chemo. I can't find the site that had it ready made.

Leslie's First Aid Kit: Capsaicin Candy Recipe

Capsaicin the substance that makes chile peppers hot, has been found to reduce pain in arthritis patients when topically applied repeatedly over several is weeks. Researchers have found that it reduces substance P which is found at nerve endings and is involved in transmitting pain signals to the brain.

Using this principle, researchers at Yale University School of Medicine have devised a candy, composed of hot chili peppers and taffy, to ease mouth pain in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Often chemo causes painful mouth sores that are difficult to treat. The sugar in the candy inhibits the burn of the capsacin in the mouth while the capsaicin provides pain relief.

The following recipe was adapted from the Joy of Cooking Cookbook.
Hot Pepper Candy Recipe:

1 cup sugar
cup light corn syrup
2/3 cup water
1 tbs cornstarch
2 tbs butter or marg
1 tbs salt
2 tsp vanilla
tsp cayenne pepper
8x8x2 buttered pan

In 2 qt saucepan, add sugar, corn syrup, water, cornstarch, butter and salt.

Over medium heat, stirring constantly till hard ball stage (256F). Remove the pan from heat. stir in vanilla and pepper

Pour candy into buttered pan to cool. Don't scrape the sides of the saucepan or your candy might crystallize.

When the candy is cool enough to handle, butter your hands (important unless you like having toffee stuck to you) and pull until satiny and stiff. Pull into long strips, cut into 1"pieces, and wrap with wax paper.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!