View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #2008
lynnephelps
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
Another tip I've read for sharpening pencils with the Prismacolor sharpener is to occasionally sharpen a graphite pencil too... the graphite helps keep the colored pencils from 'catching' on the blade. I think sometimes the fault is more in splintery wood than in the leads. Also with the Prismacolor sharpener - pencils seem to catch more when there is a build up of shavings caught in the cap between the casing and the blade, so keep that well cleaned out, too.
I think I listed that tip many pages ago, and it really does work.

I use an electric sharpener and a burr rotary sharpener and the waxy prisma lead builds up on the blade, then the blade starts to catch at the lead as they are now both waxy. I keep a graphite pencil by the sharpener and every third time or so I sharpen it for a few turns between the prismas. This works with the razor type angled blade sharpeners as well.- it helps to keep the blade from catching on the lead instead of shaving through it. Sharpening a cheap #2 regular old graphite pencil will knock the build up off the blade and help to lube it to prevent new build up for a little while.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!