Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm going "cold-turkey" on the craft spending! Does anyone want to join me?

Hi All,

There's a wonderfully insightful thread here on "overspending" that has got me to thinking....Ok, here's the deal..I have more than enough crafting goodies to last me several lifetimes. Having all of this really hasn't helped my creativity one little bit, IMHO.

I really want to see if I can "NOT" succumb to anymore needless spending in 2011, craft related, in particular. You are under NO obligation to join me or even feel as I do, but I throw this out there in the hopes that I can gain further insight and support.

I'm a little scared and excited at the same time! Yet, here goes....I pledge that I will ONLY buy what's absolutely necessary in making my cards...which, in looking at all that I have, amounts to buying adhesive only. I want to continue on this resolve as long as I possibly can.

I appreciate any and all support here!

Thank you!
Bonnie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bonnie,

I am happy to cheer you on, but I won't join you, LOL! I've finally reached a good equilibrium with spending wisely and am happy with it. But it took several spending freezes for me to get to this healthier place.

One thing that helped me during my spending freezes was to simply not set foot in a craft store or click on a link for an online store. Not looking reduces the temptation significantly.

Another was shopping in my craft room. If I saw something in a mag or the gallery here that I wanted, I looked through my own stash and tried to duplicate it as much as I could. Not only did this really help my creativity, it was a fun challenge! Plus, it almost always resulted in my getting the same or BETTER look as the thing that I wanted to buy. Very educational!

Best wishes to you and anyone else taking up this challenge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

I am with you Bonnie. I stood in the doorway of my sewing/stamping/scrapping room this morning and thought "what a mess". I need to stop buying, get some projects finished. I am proud of me though for this holiday season, I did not buy one gift sack, or bows, or ribbon. I " dug in", recycled, re used, rummaged through rubbermaid tubs that I stashed stuff from previous after holiday sale. I embellished, and got creative. It was close, but I made it through to Christmas. Have a little more storage space, and saved a few $$$.

Patrice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by BellegirlView Post
Hi All,

There's a wonderfully insightful thread here on "overspending" that has got me to thinking....Ok, here's the deal..I have more than enough crafting goodies to last me several lifetimes. Having all of this really hasn't helped my creativity one little bit, IMHO.

I really want to see if I can "NOT" succumb to anymore needless spending in 2011, craft related, in particular. You are under NO obligation to join me or even feel as I do, but I throw this out there in the hopes that I can gain further insight and support.

I'm a little scared and excited at the same time! Yet, here goes....I pledge that I will ONLY buy what's absolutely necessary in making my cards...which, in looking at all that I have, amounts to buying adhesive only. I want to continue on this resolve as long as I possibly can.

Thank you!
Bonnie
I was able to do this with pretty good success in 2010. I a SU! demonstrator so it was kind of difficult, but I only bought one or two stamp sets this year and very few accessories. I did spent about $70 with the color change. My small customer base is making my minimums; I am helping myself to the hostess benefits when it's appropriate.

It really hasn't been that difficult; I am using retired sets in my personal stamping and really enjoying getting those old friends down off the shelf and creating with them. I am also using up retired DSP and some retired In-Colors. It's like having new stuff to me since I have not used it in so long. Keeping this perspective has really helped me to decrease my spending.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
Bonnie,

I am happy to cheer you on, but I won't join you, LOL! I've finally reached a good equilibrium with spending wisely and am happy with it. But it took several spending freezes for me to get to this healthier place.

One thing that helped me during my spending freezes was to simply not set foot in a craft store or click on a link for an online store. Not looking reduces the temptation significantly.

Best wishes to you and anyone else taking up this challenge!
Thank you for your support! I admire that you are "in a good place" with this as.... I am NOT, which is painful to admit, but just the honest truth.

I think staying out of online crafting stores is a great idea;it's just too easy to be seduced into buying, at least in my particular case. Thank you for that suggestion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I have never done "cold turkey" or had a "spending freeze," however I have dieted for nearly two years now. I do not buy consumables unless necessary or perfect (example: the sailboat paper for my son's first day of kindergarten when his personal symbol is the sailboat). In that time I have bought very little and while I have purchased nonconsumable items it has been very little especially when compared to what it once was. Once I got started, I found it thrilling to use something up and move on. I actually celebrate a little when I use the last of something. It feels really good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPTAYLORView Post
I am with you Bonnie. I stood in the doorway of my sewing/stamping/scrapping room this morning and thought "what a mess". I need to stop buying, get some projects finished. I am proud of me though for this holiday season, I did not buy one gift sack, or bows, or ribbon. I " dug in", recycled, re used, rummaged through rubbermaid tubs that I stashed stuff from previous after holiday sale. I embellished, and got creative. It was close, but I made it through to Christmas. Have a little more storage space, and saved a few $$$.

Patrice
Good for you, Patrice for your creativity and restraint during this Christmas season! I am excited to find that I am NOT alone here. Thank you for joining me. I really want to get this under control and restore some "balance" in my life in this area, while still enjoying this wonderful hobby--that used to give me such joy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 08:19 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinpurplefrogView Post
I have never done "cold turkey" or had a "spending freeze," however I have dieted for nearly two years now. I do not buy consumables unless necessary or perfect (example: the sailboat paper for my son's first day of kindergarten when his personal symbol is the sailboat). In that time I have bought very little and while I have purchased nonconsumable items it has been very little especially when compared to what it once was. Once I got started, I found it thrilling to use something up and move on. I actually celebrate a little when I use the last of something. It feels really good.
I like this perspective! I sounds quite practical and healthy.

Thank you for this insight! I hope I can get to this place!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 851 Likes on 509 Posts
Smile

I am on a spending lockdown also. Other than buying an occasional product from a friend that sells for a particular company (and only if I can really use it), I am not spending on craft supplies I don't need. My craft room is a mess also; in the process of reorganizing. Hopefully, I will make progress on getting it in order soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

I appreciate you adding this on here. I have had a few days off from work and decided to organize my craft space. WOW, did I have alot of stuff. I had decided about 6 months ago that I was not going to buy any more stuff until I used up 75% of what I already have. There is a little $imply $ store right by my work and I go there almost everyday during lunch. They continually get scrapbook odds and ends and I used to always buy stuff. Those $5.00 to $10.00 daily purchases added up and I really DID NOT need them, just liked them and thought of them as a great deal. So I started my "WITHDRAWAL" by not going there everyday. I am taking the pledge with you to only use what I have and only buy when it is absoutely necessary. Let's stick to it and maybe even see a gallery set just for "UWIG". (Using What I Got!) Thanks for standing for this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #11  
kraf*T*y mama

I am so with you! But first I need to buy.....hee hee - no really I am going on a BIG freeze starting Jan 1 till June 1 then again Sept 1 till Nov 1

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am also at the point where I am happily keeping to a budget, which for me works out best. But I'll share some of the ways I was able to go from insane to moderately normal --

Sales are wonderful, but can destroy your best intentions. Ditto with free shipping with a minimum. Sometimes it really is better to spend $20 plus $6 shipping on a set you really want and will use, than $80 on stuff you won't use to get free shipping. Ditto with coupons. There are several stores having awesome sales now, but my budget for December is gone and that is that. No second guessing. Makes life so much easier...

I unsubscribed from a ton of websites, especially the ones that sent me 3 emails a week promoting new products.

I almost completely stopped buying patterned paper. I think I bought 3 packs in the last 2 years. And I still have some left over! Ditto with ribbon.

I just love to buy for the sake of buying. I know it. It isn't pretty but once I was able to limit the amount I spend, I felt enormous relief and am so much happier when I do spend.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post

I just love to buy for the sake of buying. I know it. It isn't pretty but once I was able to limit the amount I spend, I felt enormous relief and am so much happier when I do spend.

Good luck!
YUP, this is me! Yet, I am encouraged that, with some work and diligence, things can improve and hopefully I will get more satisfaction from this hobby.

Thanks for the tips and perspective.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

well, I'm trying be better for the next few months, anyway. I'm not going to set unrealistic goals for myself and say I'm not going to buy at all, cuz I'd just be setting myself up to fail, but I am taking a few trips in the next few months and would really rather spend the money there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Bonnie - One thing that helped me was going to yard sales. Sometimes you can hit a really good deal for things you really will use
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp0654View Post
Hi Bonnie - One thing that helped me was going to yard sales. Sometimes you can hit a really good deal for things you really will use
Yes, I've heard people on SCS comment about tremendous bargains found at garage sales. Unfortunately, I've never been that lucky. However, at Goodwill, I have found some incredible deals on storage and organizational items for my stamp room that I was quite delighted with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,377 Likes on 512 Posts

I did this in 2010 and found it ridiculously freeing! I LOVE the feeling of using what I have, stretching myself creatively, and just plain not spending money. I can afford to spend money on these hobbies, but it seems foolish and wasteful to do so when I have everything I need and then some - especially when I look at how hard my husband works for his money and how much I take away from my children when I buy things I don't need.

I encourage you in this effort! It truly ends up feeling wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

I will give you my support, but you are "on your own" with this - hehe, I was given a $30 gift voucher for Eckersleys (an art franchise here in australia) for Christmas. My father has given me some money, enough to buy some Tim Holtz goodies I have been drooling over for a while now and another friend gave me enough to buy me a new colour printer. Oh, yeah 2010 was my year of austerity, 2011 will not be. lol.

I admire your braveness in trying this. I do have a rule in place to use all my papers before buying any more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
I did this in 2010 and found it ridiculously freeing! I LOVE the feeling of using what I have, stretching myself creatively, and just plain not spending money. I can afford to spend money on these hobbies, but it seems foolish and wasteful to do so when I have everything I need and then some - especially when I look at how hard my husband works for his money and how much I take away from my children when I buy things I don't need.

I encourage you in this effort! It truly ends up feeling wonderful!
Thank you! This isn't going to be easy because I've gotten into some bad habits in regard to my craft spending.So, it's nice to hear that the rewards are worth it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenwhiteView Post
I will give you my support, but you are "on your own" with this - hehe, I was given a $30 gift voucher for Eckersleys (an art franchise here in australia) for Christmas. My father has given me some money, enough to buy some Tim Holtz goodies I have been drooling over for a while now and another friend gave me enough to buy me a new colour printer. Oh, yeah 2010 was my year of austerity, 2011 will not be. lol.

I admire your braveness in trying this. I do have a rule in place to use all my papers before buying any more.
That's ok. Your encouragement / support is helpful and insightful too.

I just know that deep down in my heart this is the "right" action for me to take.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I received $175 worth of gift certificates for Christmas and that will last me for a while. Also, I am purging and cleaning my stamp room. In the spring my friend and I are having a garage sale. That should keep my going for a long time. I will really assess whether a purchase is something that I'll really use or if it's something I just think I want at the moment. So, I think that puts me in the "dieting" catagory.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by KateDView Post
I received $175 worth of gift certificates for Christmas and that will last me for a while. Also, I am purging and cleaning my stamp room. In the spring my friend and I are having a garage sale. That should keep my going for a long time. I will really assess whether a purchase is something that I'll really use or if it's something I just think I want at the moment. So, I think that puts me in the "dieting" catagory.
This sounds wonderful to me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I'll give you all the support you need, but I won't be joining you. ;)

I think I'm in a pretty good place too. I used to put in orders of several hundred $$$ each month on release night. But the last two months, I haven't bought a thing. Not one ribbon, not one stamp, nothing. And instead of being down about it, I feel GOOD! It's been very liberating. So Now I buy when I see something that I know I'll used and not just because I like it, or worse yet, because everyone else seems to like it. :oops: I am not design team material and no matter how beautiful they make it look, I'll never be able to do that with it, so it goes unordered.

SAB is right around the corner and that will mean some $$$ spent for me. But I'll keep that within reason too. No need to go overboard. I have enough cardstock to last me a lifetime, and I'm not exaggerating one bit.

For me it's less about the $$$, and more about feeling good about what I buy. And I think I'm okay where I'm at.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I will try this, although it shouldn't be too bad, since I did a $200 SU order in October, and signed up in November. My daugher bought me a bunch of stickers for Christmas. I have a whole lot of stamp sets and can't even come up with a set that I will get free because of the Stampin'Scrub being delayed. I am a paper hoarder, so I have more than enough paper. The only things that I really want are the retrofit WWC , Marina Mist CS, and Artichoke CS.

I have stopped going to Michaels (it's about 100 km to my closest Michaels), although I have bought a few things from WM.

So, if I can delay this until SAB (when I will order my above items), I will try to go without buying stamping and scrapping until June.

My husband says I can't do it.

Val
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I, too, went into my room and said, OMG, what a mess. My christmas cards are in partial stages of completion on the counter. I'm truly ashamed of myself. I had such good intentions this year. I KNOW I won't stop buying, it's compulsive now. BUT, I do hope to complete my cards from this year, and it will be great next year to have some extra made in advance. AND, I'd really like to organize my room as a New Years resolution. Happy and a healthy to everyone on SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Bonnie,
I think I will join you on this with one exception of going to the CK convention this year in March, but will put myself on a budget. I totally have to much stuff and need some support to use my stash. Having a gallery would be great. A challenge to use our stuff would be a great idea also.

Thanks,
Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been thinking about this thread all day. I'm reorganizing my craft room and I have to say it is depressing to see all I have. Wow.

good luck with your effort!! Let us know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbie derocherView Post
I, too, went into my room and said, OMG, what a mess. My christmas cards are in partial stages of completion on the counter. I'm truly ashamed of myself. I had such good intentions this year. I KNOW I won't stop buying, it's compulsive now. BUT, I do hope to complete my cards from this year, and it will be great next year to have some extra made in advance. AND, I'd really like to organize my room as a New Years resolution. Happy and a healthy to everyone on SCS.
Debbie,
Try not to beat yourself up too badly as life is just too short! I look in my room and well, even though I could probably open a craft store, I love my stuff and do have it organized--to some degree! Yes, it could definitely use some improvement and further tweaking, to be sure! Yet, I usually can find what I'm looking for with a minimum of fuss; I usually try to practice the motto, "A place for everything and everything in its place".

I am coming to realize, in looking around at my room is that, I have ENOUGH STUFF! I want to learn to use some self-control/restraint and just try to truly enjoy all the goodies I have accumulated, instead of obsessing over the next stamp set I think I must have! And...don't get me going on how many sets I own that have NEVER seen ink! YIKES!!!! (If I tell you, PLEASE don't tell my husband!)

Good luck!
Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the idea of "shopping" in your own craft room! I have more than enough stuff and will use this idea alot instead of shopping at the store.
I stopped looking at all the sneak peeks for new releases each month - boy did that help! I was getting pulled in to wanting everything - especially at Papertrey. Then a funny thing happened. One month Papertrey sold out of a new set within hours of the release. I figured I would get the set the following month. When the following month came along I realized I really did not not want the set after all, but liked a newer set - which, once again was sold out within hours. So....I decided not to check the Papertrey (or other companies) new releases each month - Papertrey lost alot of my impulse business by their sales tactic of ordering low and creating the false rush to get the sets just after their midnight release (and please don't tell me this is not intentional since it happens almost every month). It made me realize that I tend to impulse buy and now I wait a few months before I decide to buy a particular stamp set. It helped my spending tremendously!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went on what I call a "No Spend Month" last October. I challenged myself not to spend money on crafting for that month. Interestingly my spending wasn't channelled onto other areas, like clothes for example. I think in the end I was more inspired to just not spend, and it felt good. Not because I was saving money, but because I wasn't bring more stuff home to clutter up my space.

October was also WCMD and I participated in no less than 50 challenges here on SCS. I used stamps I might not have otherwised have used, and I finished off using up paper scraps from a couple of different stashes.

I'm looking forward and planning my next NSM for February.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Cold Turkey on the spending

Quote:

Originally Posted by BellegirlView Post
Hi All,

Thank you!
Bonnie
Congratulations!! I think this is fantastic. My inspiration was in August and my husband said I could quit work, but the spending and other things had to stop. So I quit upcoming stamp clubs (I was in 3!!!), etc... I can honestly say instead of spending the $100's of dollars a month, getting $20 here and there is much more appreciated and honestly, it's quite humbling. But it is also fun to see how much we can "not" spend and be frugal. It's almost like when we were first married and starting out our life together.

Good luck!!!

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ladies, I found reading all the posts above so inpiring. Too funny, I was just on another thread and told a friend of mine that I was planning on putting myself on a spending diet for craft items in 2011 too. I would love to be a part of this thread so that we can uplift each other. I have soooooo much stuff that I need to use it up. Count me in!!!

BTW, I too unsubscribed earlier this morning from several websites that tend to enable me to buy. Not having that come up in my inbox will help me a lot. Also, don't intend to frequent the craft stores much either. I don't think that will be a problem for me since they are not that convenient for me to get to during the wk anymore. That part I have already reduced since I started back working on the other side of the county.

I am a life artist and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Count me in too! I have enough stuff - I just need to enjoy what I have.

Unfortunately, it means I will have to spend less time on Spiltcoast. THere is toooo much inspiration that leads to spending

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

I am definitely in the "use what I already have" camp. For a while I was feeling like I had to have the 'latest' style of stamp, embellishments, etc. but now I don't care about that. I use stamps I've had for years, just with new techniques. However, I don't think I want to declare a moratorium on craft spending. I am in a monthly SU stamp club and am pretty good about staying within my limit, although I do like to splurge a little at our local scrapbook store. My stamp room is finally clean and organized (it was beyond disastrous) and I have actually been cleaning up after myself!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had made the decision to drastically cut my craft spending because I am going to a less stressful job at the company I work for. Less stress means a cut in pay. I will not be on a freeze but will be on a drastic spending diet. "My pledge is...I will use the supplies that I own. (I could open a craft store with all that I own) I will not compulsively buy crafts." Thank you for starting this thread, the messages have been inspiring.

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great topic idea! I'm still pretty new to this hobby, so I feel like I must buy one of everything to try out all the techniques and have fun, and just build up my supply storage, but the downside is of course the spending and how to store it all.

I've seen stamp clubs mentioned a couple times here. I've been considering joining a CTMH club starting in January (10 months with 10 members = $15 a month, or if only 8 sign up, $19/mo).

What do people think of these company stamp/product clubs? Do they help you budget your supplies so you don't go overboard with huge purchases (buying $20 a month is easier on your budget perhaps than $150 on new release day), or do you find yourselves ordering unnecessary things just to meet the minimum and could use the money elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Oh I hate to say this but...
During the summer for at least 2 months if not longer I didnt but ANY craft stuff, didnt even step into Michaels once or go to any craft stores, and I didnt miss it one bit. I was going on a vacation and so I started reading Trip Advisor, I was obsessed LOL
So here is the "I hate to say this" part I was so busy reading Trip Advisor I never came to SCS. I never read about all the new stuff that I just had to have! So I didnt go out and buy it and didnt miss it. That didnt last long tho, after I got back from vacation, I had money left and so I bought a bunch of stuff lol
I love to watch haul videos, but at the same time when I do, I think Wow look at all the stuff all of us buy, it is crazy!! Never in our lifetime can we use all of this.
So I am with you, I am going to try VERY hard to use what I have and not buy stuff just because I might need it when Hell freezes over!!! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 02:51 AM   #38  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

I am on a strict craft budget and it was hard at first. It still is hard when there is so much out there I want at times. Now I plan what I want to buy each month and stick to it. No more impulse trips to the LSS. No more wandering through Michael's deciding what to buy just so I don't waste a coupon. The key is planning -- stock up on paper and tape and stay out of the stores. Good luck!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 03:15 AM   #39  
Gabfest Goddess

I was stopping by the forums this morning to see if there were any new challenges up yet to play along with....the wind here has kept me up much of the night so I decided to just get out of bed ;).....in the mean time I stumbled upon this thread and thought I would share, too.....

From a stamp company owner's perspective...this topic is scary ;)....and I think I see some of my own customers' names in here---oh no!! ;)....

....but all kidding aside, I think we all need to learn to be wiser with our spending. Nancy mentioned sets selling out and the impulse buy and I have to tell you just from the flip side of the coin, I personally don't order a lot at the beginning of a release because I don't want to be stuck with a ton of inventory if the stamps aren't popular. It's hard to know what your customers will like and what they will buy. Perhaps Papertrey does the same thing?? I really don't know, but I thought I would throw that out there.

Also, I have always thought what a bummer it is that we put so much effort into a release just to push those sets for a few weeks and then we do it all over again every other month. It seems like so many great stamps get lost in the shuffle.

However, on the other hand, to keep up with competitors and stay in business we really have to keep things fresh and new. If we don't, our customers forget about us and that can be detrimental to a business.

I know you probably weren't expecting all that, but I just wanted to share from a different point of view . It's a constant struggle for me because I am really not a fan of the impulse buy....I am a customer, too, and have really tried to "reign it in" on my impulse spending, YET as a business owner, I feel like I have to promote the impulse buy to stay in business. I may just have to start pondering ALTERNATIVE ways to service my customers....

I wish you ladies great success in your efforts!!

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and wish you blessings beyond measure in 2011!!

Korin Sutherland
This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24
My Website

Last edited by SweetnSassyStamps; 12-27-2010 at 03:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 03:26 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
No more wandering through Michael's deciding what to buy just so I don't waste a coupon. Mary Beth
Yes this was my biggest down fall - coupons. Just because they are out there doesn't mean I have to use them. Thanks so much for starting this thread. I'm on a spending diet as well. Like many of you, I have way too much stuff that has never been out of its packaging. I will be shopping in my stash in 2011 as much as possible. Good Luck everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes