Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Price for Big Shot Pro?

I was wondering what the best price and best place to look for a Big Shot Pro and are they electric?
Thanks for your help in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

The pro isn't electric. The best price I've found so far is Amazon, but I'm hoping for a crazy special somewhere on Friday! Maybe someone knows of a sale!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2010, 05:18 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Best price I found was $245 at scrapbooking-warehouse dot com. Even eBay was higher than that.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I got an email from Joann.com saying that they are having an online sale on Thanksgiving Day and that all Sizzix machines and accesories will be 50% off. The machine is normally $399.99, so the price would go down to about $200. And I'm sure you can find a free shipping code on the internet so you don't have to pay for shipping.

The sale is supposed to run from 12:01 AM (i.e. one minute past midnight) and run until 11:59 PM on Thanksgiving Day. I'm planning on staying up Wednesday night and placing my order first thing since it's "until supplies last".

Of course, knowing Joann.com, their site will probably crash... :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2010, 07:54 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

PS: the Pro is currently $239 at Joann.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pro is on my christmas list and I have been watching JoAnns (which has had the lowest price so far) just to see if they will go even lower. If they have it for $200 I will jump on this!!!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been watching prices, too.

MSRP on the Sizzix Big Shot Pro is $349.
MSRP on the Westminster branded Sizzix Big Shot Pro Cutting Machine is $399. (Westminster is a fabric company and they're marketing the Westminster branded machine at quilters.)

Here is the difference in the two:
Sizzix Big Shot Pro Machine
The Big Shot Pro truly does it all! With 100% Sizzix and Ellison compatibility, this pro-strength machine features a 13" wide opening for cutting even the largest designs. Includes Standard Sliding Tray, Standard Adapter Pad, Premium Crease Pad, Standard Cutting Pad and 3 Mylar Shims.

Westminster/Sizzix Big Shot Pro Cutting Machine
Cut multiple layers of fabric and get perfect cuts every time! The Big Shot Pro Machine features 13" wide opening for optimum compatibility/cutting area. 100% compatibility with Sizzix Dies and embossing, Ellison dies and some compatibility with other makers dies. Includes 27" tray and cutting pad. Industrial strength for high usage/high quality.
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #8  

Hmmm - I love my Westminster dies too - they are super.

Which one would you buy?

If you do a Google Product Search for it, you can see all the sites compared inclusive of tax and shipping. For sites like amazon and people with special deals for free shipping that makes a big difference.

I don't know if my search link will work for you, but here you go.

big shot pro machine - Google Search
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I would buy the blue Big Shot Pro machine, over the Westminster.
The crease pad alone is $30, and that doesn't come w/ the Westminster -- or at least, not that I've seen.
And the two mylar shims ($5 MSPR) don't come with the Westminster either... they only come with the blue BSP machine.

Last edited by SweetMissDaisy; 11-23-2010 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #10  

Yeah - and the extended cutting pads are pretty expensive - all those puppies add up!

I'm all for blue

I adore my big shot - I'd really like a pro too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandblueView Post
Yeah - and the extended cutting pads are pretty expensive - all those puppies add up!

I'm all for blue

I adore my big shot - I'd really like a pro too.
Me too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I've been holding out for one too and Joann's is the best price I have ever seen. They are offering free shipping right now for purchases over $75 thru Dec 4th. Use code WGF338. It's on the home page of the website if you lose track of this post. If anyone does find a lower price...pleeeease report! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

The "original" BSP and the Westminster BSP will cut exactly the same materials.

The differences between the two BSPs are:

The original BSP is blue and comes with the "regular" accessories for 12" dies (Adapter Pad, Cutting Pads, Crease Pad, and Sliding Tray

The Westminster BSP is purple and comes with the Extended Adapter Pad, Extended Cutting Pads, and Extended Sliding Tray for use with the 25" dies.

The Westminster costs more because the Extended Accessories are more expensive. If you have the blue BSP, you can buy them separately. That's what I had to do because I bought my (blue) BSP last year when there was no Westminster.

So far, the 25" dies are pretty much for quilters. They cut strips, squares, and triangles. They will cut anything a Sizzix Original die cuts, it's just that the designs are aimed at quilters. I've used them with paper and with fun foam and they're great.

I hope Sizzix takes advantage of the large 25" format and eventually makes dies for boxes, bags, cards, envelopes, and some 3D objects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I LOVE my BSP! The price of the crease pad is FAR less than the cost of the extended tray and mats. IF you don't have a machine and THINK you may like the extended format, I would suggest buying the Westminster (if you don't care about the color) and getting the crease pad separately. In the long run, it's cheaper. I imagine that Sizzix will have some papercrafting dies to work along with the 25" tray but who knows if it will be Winter or Summer CHA. The more detail in the die, the more it costs to produce. Now their Pro dies are around $60 MSRP. If they double the size, you can expect a pretty fair jump in the price. Plus, then they'd have to have a 25" crease pad too. I wish they would make some 12" embossing plates!!! Oh, and a full 12x12 adapter for wafer dies. That's what I'm holding out for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I would LOVE some 12x12 embossing plates! An adapter for the wafer dies would be perfect, too.

The 25" dies are expensive. They can be found for about $50 (MSRP is higher, but, like most craft items, lower-than-MSRP prices are common). At this point, I'm invested in Sizzix (and how!) and in the BSP system and would buy a 25" die for a bag or box or even a 3D item. I tend to make things in multiples (for classroom projects, teacher/staff appreciation, and that sort of thing) and usually get a lot of use out of my more expensive dies because I try to use them as often as possible.

Some of the exclusive Quickutz dies are $25-50 and they're tiny in comparison, and they don't cut as many materials as the thick Sizzix dies.

I'm pretty good at justifying my purchases. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

One of the main reasons I wanted to get the Big Shot Pro (vs. the Grand Calibur) was to be able to use the Grand Nestabilities and the Sizzix Pro Dies. I am taking from the conversations here that the BSP does not work with the thin Spellbinders dies. Is that correct? Please say it isn't so!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
I would LOVE some 12x12 embossing plates! An adapter for the wafer dies would be perfect, too.

The 25" dies are expensive. They can be found for about $50 (MSRP is higher, but, like most craft items, lower-than-MSRP prices are common). At this point, I'm invested in Sizzix (and how!) and in the BSP system and would buy a 25" die for a bag or box or even a 3D item. I tend to make things in multiples (for classroom projects, teacher/staff appreciation, and that sort of thing) and usually get a lot of use out of my more expensive dies because I try to use them as often as possible.

Some of the exclusive Quickutz dies are $25-50 and they're tiny in comparison, and they don't cut as many materials as the thick Sizzix dies.

I'm pretty good at justifying my purchases. LOL
Aren't we all?! I am like you though. I use my Pro dies to make teacher gifts and such so they pay for themselves. I have one card/envelope set I use ALL the time!! LOVE it! I have been very pleased with my Pro and can't wait to see what else they come out with for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbgirl66View Post
One of the main reasons I wanted to get the Big Shot Pro (vs. the Grand Calibur) was to be able to use the Grand Nestabilities and the Sizzix Pro Dies. I am taking from the conversations here that the BSP does not work with the thin Spellbinders dies. Is that correct? Please say it isn't so!
The Grand dies will work in the Pro. However, there is NO standard cutting plates YET for the wafer dies in the Pro. Soooo, you have to make your own. Personally, I just build up chipboard in the bottom of my Pro tray then layer the crease pad, mylar shims, die, cardstock and cutting plate. You just have to play with it to get just the right amount of pressure. You could buy extra cutting plates...you'll need replacements sometime anyway....but it's way cheaper to use the chipboard. I know Sizzix has received requests for an adapter plate so let's hope we see one at Winter CHA!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you roclesgirl! I figured there was some way to fudge things. I have plenty of chipboard! It looks like it has a tray similar to the AccuCut machines. I was assuming it had the same set up as the standard BigShot. I'm holding out for Cyber Monday deals to see if it brings a better price...otherwise, I am going for the $240 price at Joann's online with free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

JoAnn's is sold out of the Big Shot Pro. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbgirl66View Post
Thank you roclesgirl! I figured there was some way to fudge things. I have plenty of chipboard! It looks like it has a tray similar to the AccuCut machines. I was assuming it had the same set up as the standard BigShot. I'm holding out for Cyber Monday deals to see if it brings a better price...otherwise, I am going for the $240 price at Joann's online with free shipping.
You're welcome!! I hope you can find one. I see someone posted J's is sold out. :( Yes, the tray is just like the one AccuCut uses. It's really a great machine!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

At the moment, I do what Roclesgirl does for the wafer-thin dies -- I just build up the sandwich I need. I do have both the original adapter pad and the extended one, so sometimes I don't have to use as much chipboard. I love being able to place a die anywhere on a piece of 12x12 paper.

Here are my thoughts on both machines and which to buy. I'm all over the board on this, so it's not much help!

If I was buying now, the Westminster would be tempting. It's only $50 more than the blue BSP (at least, the MSRP is only $50 more) and comes with the extended accessories. Buying those items separately is far more than $50; it's actually closer to $200. I was able to get a good deal from the place I bought my blue BSP, but it was still over $100. If you buy the Westminster, you may want the original (12x12) crease pad to use with the 12x12 dies, but that's only about $30.

That said, the blue BSP goes on sale and the prices vary all over the internet. The price has come down quite a bit from a year ago. The Westminster tends to stick pretty close to the MSRP from what I've seen, and it's not available very many places.

Given that the blue BSP can occasionally be found around $225-$250 (and Joann's has had them on 1/2 price), and the extended accessories can be found for around $150-$175, it would be worth it to buy the blue machine and the extended accessories and have a full set of both the 12" accessories (which includes the 12" crease pad) and the 25" accessories.

If you want to hedge your bets, buy the Westminster because you can use the extended accessories with the 12x12 dies, but you cannot use the 12x25 dies with the original accessories.

If you never intend to use the 25" dies, though, there's absolutely no reason to buy the Westminster or the extended accessories.

It'll be different if the Westminster ever goes on sale and/or the price goes down like the blue BSP, but as long as it stays around $400, the blue BSP is the best deal, even if you buy the extended accessories for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by roclesgirlView Post
The Grand dies will work in the Pro. However, there is NO standard cutting plates YET for the wafer dies in the Pro. Soooo, you have to make your own. Personally, I just build up chipboard in the bottom of my Pro tray then layer the crease pad, mylar shims, die, cardstock and cutting plate. You just have to play with it to get just the right amount of pressure. You could buy extra cutting plates...you'll need replacements sometime anyway....but it's way cheaper to use the chipboard. I know Sizzix has received requests for an adapter plate so let's hope we see one at Winter CHA!!!
Thanks so much roclesgrl!! I have been searching all over the internet on how to use the grand nestabilites in my BSP! My hubby got me some for Christams! Yay!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

WIth regard to the Sizzix Big Shot Pro- Scrap Mart sells it for around $262.49. The Grand Calibur for around $97. Still deciding! Spellbinder dies are very inexpensive here too with free shipping!
Scrap-mart - Search
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

ALso: Included with the Big Shot Pro are a Standard Cutting Pad, a Premium Crease Pad, two 0.10 mm Mylar Shims and an Adapter Pad, which makes all Sizzix components compatible with the Big Shot Pro Machine. Features a five-year limited warranty. The Big Shot Pro Machine measures approximately 24 1/4" x 15" x 7 1/2".
at Scrap Mart for $262
Reply With Quote Likes