Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to RubyInGA
Question Lost...

Hi,
I just read both pages posted here and need help. Would someone mind explaining to me exactly what a VSN is and how they work. I kind of got the idea that you are working against a clock. I saw a post asking for Feb. hostesses. Is there a Jan. VSN?

Many thanks,
Ruby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Hi Ruby,
Sorry it took so long to get to you, i've been traveling today

This thread has lots of info in it, that might help: VSN Guidelines and Tips by jpmayo at Splitcoaststampers

and to answer your specific questions:

VSN is actually a weekend, Friday and Saturday, full of challenges, one on each hour, usually between 5pm EST Fri and 11pm EST on Saturday night..with a break for sleeping ;)
There is a theme each VSN, which was announced in THIS thread.
The same thread also has a call for hostesses. Each challenge during VSN is hosted by a different person, using ideas they come up with reflecting the theme.
No there is not one in Jan, they are quarterly, Feb., May, August, November.

Yes they are timed, that is the FUNNEST part...a challenge is posted on the hour and then you have 45 minutes to finish the challenge, 15 minutes to clean up and get ready for the next one...you don't have to do them all, just as many as you can.
There will be a supply list posted so you will know if you need anything special and can be prepared.

If you have anymore questions, jsut ask and I hope you'll play along and/or send in your idea for a challenge if you have one.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Hi, Ruby. The VSN weekends are so fun! I think they are usually every other month or so, but the coordinators usually schedule a mini VSN in advance of the main event, so they really do come around quite often. For the next VSN they schedule is a Mini VSN January 21 and the Main VSN February 25 & 26. We'll hear about the specific times when it gets a little closer.

What happens is several hostesses are selected and they each come up with a challenge for us. Then on the weekend of VSN a new challenge is posted each hour. We then have 45 minutes to complete the challenge and 15 minutes break before the next one, to clean up, grab a snack, photograph and upload the card, or whatever we want. Then the next one is posted and we're off on another challenge. This goes on for several hours. It's great fun to try to keep up and chat with everyone else that is playing along.

If you can't play along as the challenges are posted, that is ok, too. We have all weekend to get our cards posted in the gallery. The only condition is to follow the challenge and make sure you create the card within the 45 minute time limit. So if you play along a little later in the weekend, that is fine, it is all on the honor system as far as the time limit is concerned.

Later, after all the challenges are complete and cards uploaded, the VSN Team goes through and selects cards to be entered into an honor gallery. Sometimes there are random prizes, too!

I'm a super slow stamper, so I try to play whenever I can (which isn't very often), to push myself to get faster.

There will be a lot more information as it gets closer to Jan 21, so be sure to keep an eye on this forum for new information.

Ok, that is all I can think of right now. Hopefully someone else will come along and add to this if I missed something important.

My Blog - Crafting The Web | Illustrator and Designer for - Gina K Designs

2012 Design Team Member - Spellbinders
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Oops, sorry, Jimmi, I was still typing when you posted that.

My Blog - Crafting The Web | Illustrator and Designer for - Gina K Designs

2012 Design Team Member - Spellbinders
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

Smile Thanks for the quick response...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayoView Post
Hi Ruby,
Sorry it took so long to get to you, i've been traveling today

This thread has lots of info in it, that might help: VSN Guidelines and Tips by jpmayo at Splitcoaststampers

and to answer your specific questions:

VSN is actually a weekend, Friday and Saturday, full of challenges, one on each hour, usually between 5pm EST Fri and 11pm EST on Saturday night..with a break for sleeping ;)
There is a theme each VSN, which was announced in THIS thread.
The same thread also has a call for hostesses. Each challenge during VSN is hosted by a different person, using ideas they come up with reflecting the theme.
No there is not one in Jan, they are quarterly, Feb., May, August, November.

Yes they are timed, that is the FUNNEST part...a challenge is posted on the hour and then you have 45 minutes to finish the challenge, 15 minutes to clean up and get ready for the next one...you don't have to do them all, just as many as you can.
There will be a supply list posted so you will know if you need anything special and can be prepared.

If you have anymore questions, jsut ask and I hope you'll play along and/or send in your idea for a challenge if you have one.
I really didn't expect this quick of a response being the time of year that it is. I would like to give it a shot in February and see if I can "hang with the big dogs"....lol. May lose my shirt, but willing to give it a go. If you would keep me in mind I would appreciate it.

Many thanks and Merry Christmas!

Ruby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 03:54 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Ruby...
All you need to do is to keep an eye on this forum here. Everything you need to know is here.

Pretty soon you'll see a list of hostesses being posted for both January 21 mini and the Feb 25-26 main event. These are the people who have created the challenges for those times.

Then you will see a thread that lists special supplies that you may need to have on hand if you plan to do all the challenges. These are supplies that would be more out of the ordinary, like acetate or rickrack or glossy paper and such.

In the week or so before each event you will see a thread posted that will have a sheet for you to record the challenges and keep track of making, photographing, posting what you make.

All that is required of you is to show up, make something fitting the challenge, and post it. You will have a couple of days afterwards to get everything posted.

Hope to see you here! We all have a lot of fun!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ruby,

The first time is the scariest....but it gets better each time. I remember my first time and I survived. Just remember to have fun, don't sweat the small stuff, and do what you can with the time and resources you have. The 45 minute is just to challenge yourself. It it takes you longer...no problem...you don't even have to tell anyone. Hope to see you there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

Smile VSN

Thanks to you all for your information and encouragment. I am a little worried I may not have the "specialty" items called for, but I'm sure going to give it my best shot!!

BTW, I hope the new year holds nothing but blessings and joy for all of you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2011, 04:10 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Ruby - when I did my first VSN, I had just started stamping and didn't have a lot of the "specialty" items, but we're ok with "close enough"... We all know that stamping is an EXPENSIVE hobby, so we do the best we can. The purpose of VSN is not to intimidate - it's to have fun! You aren't required to do all of the challenges, we just welcome everyone to play along and try something new or something old you haven't done in a while. It's all about working those creative juices, and trust me, you'll be just fine with the big dogs... trust me, I have a German Shepherd and a Pug, and my little Pug shows the Shepherd a thing or two ;) We're so excited for you to play along... see ya in a few weeks!
Reply With Quote Likes