View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
PickleTree
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Camera and Camera Settings

Next, let's talk about cameras. Of course you'll have maximum control with a digital SLR camera, but that is by no means a requirement, and not at all necessary for the settings I'm sharing. Most, if not all, point-and-shoot models will have the features you need.

First, manually turn off your camera's flash. Refer to your owner's manual if you don't know how to do that.

Second, change your camera to the Macro setting, which is represented by a tulip/flower icon. Again, reference your manual for instructions specific to your camera. The Macro mode is specifically intended for photographing objects at close range (less than 3 feet).

Your camera should be at relatively the same level as your photo. Avoid, say, placing your project on a chair and then photographing it while you're standing. Get on the same level, so in this case, kneel.

For the absolute crispest results, eliminate camera shake. If you're using a tripod, camera shake won't be an issue. If you're not (I don't), try these things:

** Rest your camera on a stable surface while taking the picture, or at least rest your elbows on a stable surface while you're taking the picture.
** If a stable, solid surface isn't possible, squat down and put your elbow on your knee to help keep your hands steady. Obviously this will only work if your project is sitting on something low enough, like a chair, sofa, or coffee table.
** Last, I learned these two tricks from years of scrapbooking: freeze/tense your muscles, exhale and hold your breath, then press the shutter button. It really does help!