View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
PickleTree
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default HTDT? 7.22.09 Photographing Your Papercrafting Projects

Hi everyone! This week I'm going to share some basic tips on taking and editing pictures of your papercrafting projects. Let's get your photos looking {almost} as good as the real thing!

First up is set-up and lighting. The easiest and most consistent way to manage your set-up and lighting is to use a light box. There are some reasonably priced options on the market, as well as some directions for making your own inexpensive lightbox. If you take a lot of photographs, serve on design teams, submit for publication, take pictures at night, and/or have poor natural light options, a lightbox is a worthwhile investment.

I personally do not use a lightbox, so this tutorial will cover how to take pictures without one. I've been happy with the results I get using natural indirect daylight and a few minimal supplies for a backdrop. The only time I've ever really, really wished for one is when I have to take a photo at night. If you do use a lightbox, you can skip down to the information on editing your pictures (beginning with post #5).

Some options for a white backdrop, mostly using things you probably already have on hand:

** Two pieces of white card stock (12x12 works well) and a chair placed near a window. (See Photo 1.)

** White card stock and a tri-fold white foamcore presentation board (available at craft stores and some office supply stores). (See Photo 2.)

** White sheet (or length of fabric) draped over something tall enough to create the backdrop, such as the back of a chair, a sofa, etc. (My sheet is draped over a boken toy piano.) (See Photo 3.)

[Sidenote: You might want to iron your sheet. You iron all of your other sheets, right? Bwahahaha]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HTDT setup 1.jpg (185.6 KB, 601 views)
File Type: jpg HTDT setup 2.jpg (171.9 KB, 611 views)
File Type: jpg HTDT setup 3.jpg (180.9 KB, 595 views)