Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Store Cardstock Scraps

Can you please share your ideas on how you store your cardstock scraps and find it works for you. I can't find a way to store them and also would like them handy. I had each SU color group in 4 different plastic folder bins but with the retired colors and the new colors it's getting confusing. Then I tried putting each color in a file folder but I have nowhere to put it and also there's alot of folders. Please HELP me. Thank you!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

At one time I kept my scraps separate from the cardstock and didn't use them because I'd forget to check the scraps before I cut up a new sheet. Now I have my cardstock in hanging files, one color per folder. In the front of each folder is a side loading page protector to hold scraps of that color. With everything in the same folder, the scraps are now used.

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Here is how I store mine

The Artful Muse's Artful Musings: Paper Scrap Storage
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 11:45 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I store mine in the garbage bin.
Unless it is big enough ot make a card front out of I throw it straight out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 01:06 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I "collect" cardstock from so many sources that keeping all my scraps separated by company and color is impossible. I have plastic Sterilite 3-drawer units where I store my scraps by general color category: blues/greens, reds, oranges/yellows, white/cream, etc. Any pieces large enough to make an A2 card base are cut to that size and stored elsewhere. All other leftovers, usually 2x2 or larger, are put in my Sterilite drawers. I always know where to look for scraps, which has me using them more consistenly than when I had them all tossed in a box or stuffed in a desk drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 03:45 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

My SU and Bazzill cardstock is in file folders, so I just put the scraps at the front of the folder with the cardstock. For my other cardstock, I use folders that my kids discarded at the end of the school year. Each folder holds 2 colors - blue in one pocket and purple in the other for example.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 05:01 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a 3 drawer bin that can hold 8.5x11 paper. I only keep pieces that are roughly 4x4 or larger, I use to keep every scrap until I realized I never used any of the small stuff. I sort them by warm, cool, and neutral. For multi colored papers I sort by the major color or how I think it "feels". I also go through them every 6ish months and pull out the pieces that no longer thrill me. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 05:13 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I use to have two big baskets full of scraps from 1x1 to half sheets. It was getting a bit much. I have paired it down to four white boxes from the dollar store. I have group 2 or 3 colors into one box and labeled it. When I'm making a card I just pull the box over to the craft counter and rummage through it.
Attached Thumbnails
How To Store Cardstock Scraps-scrap-boxes-2.jpg   How To Store Cardstock Scraps-scrap-boxes.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 05:30 AM   #9  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I found that I only used my scraps if they were all jumbled together in a basket on my work area. If I tried to sort them I'd get frustrated and toss them. Having them handy has sparked creativity because I often see colors "thrown together" that I wouldn't have otherwise combined.

And, because I really love the feel of paper, looking through the basket is fun too!

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee

Last edited by TeeGeeDee; 10-15-2010 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: fixed some typos (not easy with a cat)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbftView Post
I "collect" cardstock from so many sources that keeping all my scraps separated by company and color is impossible. I have plastic Sterilite 3-drawer units where I store my scraps by general color category: blues/greens, reds, oranges/yellows, white/cream, etc. Any pieces large enough to make an A2 card base are cut to that size and stored elsewhere. All other leftovers, usually 2x2 or larger, are put in my Sterilite drawers. I always know where to look for scraps, which has me using them more consistenly than when I had them all tossed in a box or stuffed in a desk drawer.
This is what I do also. I have 4 units - 2 that are used for SU paper, 2 for non- SU papers. Then I punched a star & put it on the front of each drawer in the colors that are in that drawer. I use scraps ALL the time this way. I love this! I have the 12x12 drawers as I do a lot of scrapbooking as well. Any non SU pattern papers go in here as well based by the most dominate color and/or color I think I will use that paper with. SU DSP scraps go back in the bag with their unused friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I basically just have SU carstock, with some white and ivory GinaK cardstock thrown in. I have paper shelving units with a space for each color and I have plastic baggies that my scrap of that color goes into and it just goes on top of the paper on its rack. I have the name of the color written on the baggie. Then I remember to check that first when I am looking for a color before cutting into a new sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A good friend of mine, Shared with me. The new way she is storing her Scraps.

She and I purchased a Plastic box with plastic file inserts. She has cut down all of her Scraps to 4x4 & 6x6 And now stores them by color.

This is how I'm going to be doing mine. Right now I have it all over the place. And that's not good.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

Love everybody's ideas!

I store mine in gallon-sized ziploc bags sorted by color and then all the bags stand up in a basket.

Simple but it works for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #14  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a seperate hanging folder file for each color (I use SU cs) I put the whole sheets in the hanging file then I put a manila folder (three cut kind) in the front of the whole sheets with scraps, any size. I pull that out first and use what I can from the scraps if there is nothing for the size I need I then will allow myself to cut a new sheet (ouch that hurts LOL!)
I use scraps first and have very little wasted cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Scraps are FANTASTIC for so many projects!
Mine are stored in a cloth bag with handles (for easy transport!)
Each color in a gallon ziploc bag, labeled at top with color name.

As you "make" scraps, just toss in bag, and when time - sort. That way, you won't be tempted to throw in trash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Plastic

I bought 3-4, 4 drawer storage units from Wal-mart and stacked them. I then put any scap piece of cardstock I think I can reuse in them. I labeled them pink, red, green, yellow, orange, etc. I use the very last drawer for scrap designer paper.

I go to this drawer first when making cards to use up my scraps. Hope this helps.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

I also use hanging file folders, one for each color, and put the scraps in the front of the full sheets in the folder. I always look there first when I need a specific color. Scraps are particularly useful for punches or nesties.

I have always stored my cardstock by color family, in alphabetical order with the retired colors in the back. Now with all the colors that retired, I have changed to a ROYGBIV order and love it. I can see all the shades of red together.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2010, 03:16 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by joystamp4View Post
At one time I kept my scraps separate from the cardstock and didn't use them because I'd forget to check the scraps before I cut up a new sheet. Now I have my cardstock in hanging files, one color per folder. In the front of each folder is a side loading page protector to hold scraps of that color. With everything in the same folder, the scraps are now used.
This is exactly what I do! I put a full sheet of the cardstock into the page protector to prevent it from getting all squished in the hanging file, and then put all my scraps in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2010, 04:59 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a method similar to others here. I have full sheets stored in a big paper rack (holy cow, how did I accumulate so much paper?) the half sheets and scraps are in a hanging file cabinet that I got several years ago at Aldi very inexpensively. the scraps live in a quart size ziplock with the color name written on the bag so that when I have a dozen scrap bags out of the files, I can gt them back in their place quickly. I always go into the hanging files first, because they are closest to me, so the pieces and parts get used first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I keep mine in scrapbook page keepers (like big 12x12 clear envelopes) by colour (red/orange, green, blues, black/grey, etc). They sit on the shelf with all my other paper and I always try to pull scraps first before I cut into a new sheet of paper. At one point I had so many scraps that I made about 80 cards with just scraps for my first craft sale. One thing you can do with the little bitty scraps that are too small and you can't use for punches is to whirl them up in a small coffee grinder to make flocking. You will have the perfect matching flocking for your projects then. Or whirl up in a blender with some water and make your own paper. Kind of going off topic here... But that's how I store my scraps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

I keep my SU cardstock in file folders, one folder for each color. In the front of each folder is a sheet protector for scraps. Then I only have to look in one spot, if there isn't a scrap, I go to a new sheet.

My non SU cardstock I keep in a separate file box by color, ROYGBIV & neutral, one folder for each color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I keep all my cardstock in file folders, with full sheets and scraps in the same folder
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you ladies for all the wonderful ideas. I will share how I store the scraps once i decide which way to go with. Now I can't decide because there are so many great ideas!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

My scraps are stored in an A5 2 ring binder with page protector pockets.
No need to label anything as the pockets are clear. This binder is what I reach for first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 05:26 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I have a three-drawer plastic unit that all the small scraps go in. Warm colors (reds, yellows, pinks, oranges) in top drawer, cool colors (purples, greens, blues) in second drawer, neutrals (whites, grays, browns, etc.) in bottom drawer. I'm not particular about the manufacturer info for scraps - just the main papers used for the project. Larger scraps (4" or more) stay with full sheets, since they could easily be "main" papers for something. Working so far...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #26  
Mal
Matboard Maniac

I love all the ideas that everyone has. I had them in sheet protectors as well but, it took up to much space for me. So I found this to be the best way that works for my scraps and space that I have. I have 8 boxes that stack and 2 that don't. The 8 boxes that stack hold my scraps that range in size from 2 x 3 1/4 and going a 1/4 inch bigger until it reaches 4 x 5 1/4. The other 2 are 4 1/2 and 5 1/4 in length by any size. I have them organized lightest to darkest, so when I need a certain size and can go to that box and pull out what I need before cutting into a new sheet. I have pictures to show you and hopefully I did it right so you can see.

DSC03531.JPG DSC03532.JPG

Last edited by Mal; 10-22-2010 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

I have three clear plastic boxes.

I always go to these first! I use my scraps ALL the time.

I have blues/greens together, reds/oranges/yellows together and black/vanilla/crumb cake/white together. It works well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #28  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

sorry mal the links didn't work. try again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #29  
Mal
Matboard Maniac

I tried again to upload the photos, but somehow I can't get it. Maybe someone can walk me thru it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2010, 06:45 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

I have all of my SU cs organized (and I don't use other brands of CS) in literature organizers. so each color has it's own slot and then i found ziploc type bags that will hold a complete 8.5 x 11 sheet and i have one for each color that gets stored in the slot on top of the full sheets. I use my scraps all the time that way. I usually pull out my bags of scraps before full sheets unless i need large pieces like for cards and such. i do find that my most used colors are getting too many small scraps, so i should go through them and weed out the small stuff i can't use. I keep anything that is big enough for the majority of my paper punches. it makes it nice when prepping for classes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2010, 06:50 AM   #31  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

I have an accordion file and I sort by r o y g b i v, with patterned paper in the back pocket. It works pretty well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2010, 07:36 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
Someday I hope to be as liberated as you - seriously! I know my area would be better without them but it's hard given the way I was raised (fairly poor) to "waste" anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

I bought 2 racks like these: Storage Racks @ Hobby Lobby when they were 50% off. I store my paper in them & scraps in the same slot but inside the Clear Cello Stampin' Up! Logo Bag 9X14 (50 for $8.95).

My slow growing gallery...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:02 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

I keep the scraps with that color paper. When I get a new pack of paper I slice open the top of the package only. So the paper stays in the package but I can pull sheets out the top. Then good size scraps get slid back into the front of the package. Never a problem finding a color & the paper stays nice & dust free. And my paper is in a tote of hanging folders. Each color is in a folder. I can't imagine not doing it this way or I would be cutting up a lot of cardstock for mat pieces.

Last edited by Carebear530; 10-30-2010 at 06:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Thumbs up Great idea!

Very clever - I'll definitely be using this one!
Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pSaMuseView Post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 06:57 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Default LOL!!!

Love it!!!
That's where mine usually end up - eventually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a bin from Target that's just over 12" long and 6" wide. In there, I keep two envelopes for very small scraps, and the rest is for partial sheets. Then, every now and then, I go through and work only from that bin to reduce the amount in it.

Any pieces large enough to be cut into a card base gets cut into that first and left there. It helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #38  
Glitter Guru

This is how I store mine:

-------------------------------by Joan Switalski--- - My Craft Room (Latest Photos)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2010, 06:23 AM   #39  
Glitter Queen

I use mainly SU cardstock....I have the quart size ziplocks labled with each color name and anything smaller than the face of a card goes in there....I keep them organized just like my sheets in order by color family. I have them in a small bin right on top of my paper file so I have to touch that first to get to the larger paper and it helps me remember to use it up. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #40  
Cardstock Collector

I use the gallon sized ziplock bags, and then label them. I usually organize them by Colored Scraps and Patterned Scraps.
Reply With Quote Likes