Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Martha Stewart Scoring Board vs Scor-Pal

Which scoring board is best???
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I've had the Scor-Pal for quite some time and love it, so resisted getting the MS board. But I was intrigued with the 1/8" scoring lines, plus the ease of making envelopes. So with a 50% coupon, I finally bought one. I like both. Haven't used it yet to make envelopes, but for scoring, I would recommend a stylus on the MS board. I've torn some cardstock using the MS scorer. I like that the right side of the MS board is open so you can score paper wider than 12". I REALLY like that the top of the board, where the measurements are, allow you to start your score off the paper. The Scor-Pal doesn't allow for this. I like the pre-marked measurements on the Scor-Pal, for A2 cards, and for brochure folding. However, I don't like Scor-Pal's scoring tool either. It started dulling almost immediately after I rec'd it. The company sent me another one (free), but that was before the new scorers were developed. I've heard the new ones are much better quality. I love the Scor-Mat, and being able to have my Scor-Pal on my work surface all the time because of the Scor-Mat edges up the value of the Scor-Pal in my opinion. All in all, I prefer my Scor-Pal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new scor-pal scoring tools are really, really nice. I've used mine a ton, for thousands of scores, and it's not dull at all. I think they were able to correct the problem, and now all Scor-Pals have the new scoring tool.

I would recommend the Scor-Pal. It has made it so much easier for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

For the price you just can't beat the Martha Stewart one. I bought my mom the Scor-pal before the MS one came out. All the extras are nice but we like the MS one because of the ease in scoring--as in more lines. As for the MS tool--I lost mine way long ago and use my Tupperware orange peeler---ha ha ha--it's true---and it works great. I like all the lines, others do not. But I couldn't afford to buy me the Scorpal and I am quite happy with it. Never have tried the envelope thingy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2010, 06:03 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I used the Scor-Pal for years before the MS one came out. The Scor-Pal one was great.. still is, but I like the MS one better. I like that I don't have to do any "figuring" when my scores aren't on the pre-measured lines of the Scor-Pal (which unless I'm making a basic card, it seems they never are). There is no guess work involved with the MS one. I agree that the MS score tool is too sharp, so I just use the pink MS bone folder, and it's perfect. I don't skip the track and I don't cut through the paper. The MS board also doesn't have a gate on the right side, so if your paper is longer, you're fine. I also like that the bone folder fits in the little compartment at the top of the MS score board.

I don't have a scor-mat, but with the MS board, I have a nice 12x12 self healing cutting mat that fits perfectly, and can be found at any craft store. Not sure if it's the same premise or not, but it works for me! I also feel like the MS board is a bit more "sturdy."

And... the price just can't be beat, especially with a coupon at Michael's.

My vote is for the MS score board, hands down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't have a scor-pal to compare it to, but I love my MS scoring board. You just can't beat the value since you can pick one up at the craft store with a coupon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

I really like them both, for various reasons! I had the scor-pal for a while and I love it. My only problem is I am an idiot with "figuring measurements out" so the MS one is great when you have to do 1/8" and 1/4" increments without having to measure the paper and move it around your board. I really like that aspect of it! And I did use my 40% off coupon, which made it affordable to have 2 scoring boards....LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I don't have the Scor-Pal. I purchased the MS scoring board and love it. The scoring tool doesn't bother me at all. The first time I used it I thought, well that's a little sharp. So I wrapped a bandaid around it and the place where I'd be pressing down and voila!!! I've never torn paper with it either. Guess I don't really press down too hard. But I just love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh, and I just remembered this blog that did a comparison of the two. Might be helpful to you in your decision:

Crafting with Sue: Scor-pal vs The Martha Stewart Scoring Board...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I haven't tried the Scor-Pal, but I do really like the Martha Stewart version.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I have and use them both. I find the MS board to be a bit more versatile because of the 1/8" score lines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I have the MS scoreboard. Never had the Score-pal. I had been looking and looking at the Score-pal but could never find myself clear to spend that kind of money on a scoring tool. Then the MS score board came out..and I had a 50% coupon and I've never looked back. It's perfect. I love the lines...love that I don't have to figure out the math...and I LOVED the price! Worth every dime I spent, which wasn't a lot of dimes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

I have the small card size Scor-Pal and I really like and use it - the size is really geared to card making. I also bought the MS board (yes, with a 40% of Michael's coupon!) but admittedly have not yet used it. I was drawn to the smaller line sizes and the envelope maker on the MS board...one day I will pull it out and try it. If you really want a Score-Pal, try the small one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

I have used both the Scor-Pal and the MS Score board. The MS board has an advantage of having the grooves close together. However, I prefer the SP because the stylus is much sturdier and I like the feature where the stylus pops off the front of the board without having to open up that little drawer on the MS.
Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I sold my Scor-pal. Every time I scored a card, it was crooked! I would have to cut off the edges of the card to get it straight again The Scor-pal did not look crooked, so I was puzzled.

I got the MS scorboard, and no more crooked cards! YAY! I also discovered that I like the evenly spaced lines, as opposed to the way the scor-pal is set up. However, I like the scor-pal scoring tool MUCH better than the MS tool, so when I sold my scor-pal, I went and bought myself a new scor-tool to use with my MS board.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Yup, I agree. I bought a good scoring tool with my MS board...totally LOVE the board and use it every time I make cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2010, 05:46 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I recently gave away my Scor-Pal to a friend. We both make cards, but I make a lot of 3-D items, so need the ease of not having to add/subtract/move around my paper, etc.
I am going to use my 50% coupon at Michaels to get the Martha Stewart scoring board.
I tried, really tried to love the Scor-Pal, but ended up using it for some score marks and then putting the cs back in my trimmer for other ones. It became too frustrating and time consuming, so, I'm going with the MS one.
Thanks for the tip on the pink scoring tool. I'll get one of those, too.
Now you just watch Stampin' Up! come out with an awesome one that I'll have to have as a demo!:rolleyes:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2010, 08:32 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate to throw another board into the mix, but this one, the Hougie board,, is available over here, so I assume you have it too. It has imperial on one side, at half inch increments, and metric on the other, at 5mm. It takes 12x12 paper too. I have a score board, but I must admit I am tempted by this one.;)
I always use an embossing stylus to score my card, I've never use one of the scoring tools that come with the boards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

The only thing that I like better about the Scor-pal vs the MS scoring board is this. If you cut out a box or something on Cricut and then score it on a scoring board, with MS, it's really hard to tell where the lines match up from top to bottom. There's nothing to square. With Scor-pal, if you use a score line with a wider measurement, you can see the bottom better for lining up. Hope that makes sense. I still love my MS better. Sold my Scor-Pal, but kept my Scor-Buddy. I can use it for these types of projects, providing it's not longer than the board.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I'd say for the price....Martha S scoring board all the way. Can't beat that 50% off coupon from Micheal's! Great buy @ $12.00.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

which self-healing mat do you use with the MS board? I've been looking for one all over and the ones I find are too large or waaay too small. Please advise. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Likes