View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #2149
smhtwin
Pearl-ExPert

God answered one of my prayers and sent me an angel that will be taking DS to his after school care center each school day. She is one of the teacher's aides at DS's school. She works with the special needs kids and is majoring in Occupational Therapy. Because she is putting herself through college to get her Master's, she works 2 jobs and is also looking for any extra cash to help with tuition. So.......she's happy to help us and we are happy to pay her! DS already knows her from school so he's not skittish about riding with her. Hooray!

I took DS to a screening for music therapy last night. Very reluctant at first but then started responding. The therapist got out a marimba and played patterns for him to mimic. OMGosh!!! He mimicked her almost note for note - I sat there with my mouth hanging open She even did soft and hard notes and he followed along with that too! At the end of the session, she told me that she has never had a child follow her that well during a first screening

Of course, once again, due to California's heinous state budget, the chance of adding music therapy to his IEP just isn't an option. So, here we go with looking at Mr. Budget and figuring out how we can implement some music therapy classes for him. Hmmmmmm.......

One cool thing his school is doing for them is bringing a pumpkin patch to the campus! They are setting up a pumpkin patch with a friendly looking scarecrow and will be taking pictures of the kids with their pumpkins (for a small donation). I think it's great - DS struggles with going to public pumpkin patches and since he is comfortable at school, we actually stand a chance of getting an autumn picture of him
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!