View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #2147
abareis
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena74 View Post
I am going to lose my mind it feels like sometimes, even though everyone comments on my patience, I don't feel very patient after the weekend we had. My DS was as well behaved as I can except but my niece had me babysit for well about 36 hours her 6 week old newborn and WOW...that was hard. I have done this in the past but never for more then 12 hours. I will admit part of it is me since DS is our 1 and only child- since it was thru adoption and we won't be going down that stressful- overwhelming- and expensive situation again. DS is as gentle as he can be towards the newborn but I can't allow the 2 in the same room together alone even for 1 minute. DS actually did feed the baby a bottle and would try to comfort the baby when he cried until he was tired of the crying then all H*LL broke out. DS became so difficult- overwhelmed, sensory overload bad and I could do nothing to calm him. Everytime I would try to calm him he would push me, yell at me or kick me and those behaviors are not allowed. Today has been a difficult day becasue he wants the baby to come back but that isn't going to happen- He says "Baby is Mine, Now Plez" I tried to explain without satisfaction- so I have decided I will babysit for a few hours here and there but no overnight visits for a while. In some ways (very few) he is a typical 21/2 year old but in other ways like communication, speech, anger is nothing like the norm. He banged his head 4 times in a row Saturday before I could grab him and now he has a split forehead - yet no tears (he doesn't feel pain in a norm way). I get asked why my legs stay so bruised and I try to explain it just happens during one of DS's fits, I try to stop him from injuring himself so I get bruised up in the process. The past 3 days have been very difficult but tomorrow will be better, I try to allows keep that mindset. Now I need to catch up on sleep since we are going thru 2-3 year old nightmares, then the newborn waking up every 3 hours..... Thank goodness the baby is gone for a few days maybe a week and we can try to get some sort of schedule back- but we need rain-rain go away- so my lil man can go outside and burn up extra energy before mommy goes insane, LOL!!

Sheena

Sheena
Sheena - I'm sorry you are feeling this way - but am glad you are able to vent here. I'm going to suggest that you have your niece find another babysitter for her newborn. You and your little guy are in a difficult place emotionally right now and disrupting his and your routines in such a dramatic way is probably overload for all of you. Perhaps there are other ways you can help her.

In the beginning of your post you wrote that people comment on your patience, even though you don't feel you have any. I think many of us who are raising special needs children feel like we have to put on a brave face to everyone, when in reality, we are truly sinking and really need help. Don't be afraid to let it show that what you are doing is difficult and that you do need help and that you are doing the best you can to be the best parent you can be.

Best of luck - hang in there.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!