View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #2145
abareis
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBlossom View Post
Hi, ladies!

What sort of questions would you ask a district special education coordinator if you were considering moving to that area? DH is looking at jobs in Wisconsin (Waterloo) and DC (Poolesville area).

Thanks in advance!

Susan
Susan - From reading your previous posts, it seems that your son is receiving pretty great services from your existing school district. I would make a spreadsheet of the specific services he is receiving - on a day-to-day basis - complete with student to teacher ratios, time spent on speech, OT, PT, etc., discipline procedures, types of support offered throughout the day, etc. You have your IEP, but there are so many great things that happen that aren't included in an IEP that you will want to compare.

I would ask if the special ed teachers have specifically been trained in teaching autistic children. I would also ask if there are any families with autistic children in their program who would be willing to talk with you about their experiences.

Lastly, I would definitely ask to see their program in action and ask to see what a typical day would be like for your son.

Good luck!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!