Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recollections Punches

I bought a great border punch in Michael's today. Looks like stitching. This is the first Recollections punch I've bought. On the bottom of it is a plastic piece to catch the paper bits. Great idea. The only problem is I had to break it off because it wouldn't open so I could dump the paper pieces. Has anyone had any experience with these punches? If there's a trick to getting that plastic piece to open please share. I tried sliding, pressing on all of the sides of the plastic piece, prying it open with a butter knife. Nothing. There are absolutely no hints on the packaging so anyone who has no experience with punches who buys this as their first one will be lost.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a different design and the trap door is definitely stiff - but I was able to open it by prying it without breaking my nail (barely). Maybe you got a dud and could take it back and exchange it for a different one?

My concern is that I did find it felt a little "bendy" when punching cardstock - like I was almost about to break the plastic lever. It felt fine punching lightweight patterned paper, but I'm afraid to use it on cardstock. None of my other brand punches have given me so much "give" when punching. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 03:43 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Could very well be that I got a dud because that thing wasn't opening no matter what I did. I am relieved to know that I'm not the only one who had a problem. I didn't use it on regular cardstock yet. Just punched to see how the design worked out on some printer paper. Kind of defeats the purpose of a punch if it's not great on cardstock. Did you notice that there isn't any information as to who puts it out? Just says made in China but there's no contact information or website information. Maybe it's a Michael's brand only but you would still think there would be some info so if you had a question or problem, there would be some contact info. I couldn't find a website either when I did a Google search. Might just have to stick to EK and SU punches if this brand doesn't work out with sturdy cardstock. I got it for 1/2 price with a coupon and thought I'd go back and get another one since I have another coupon. Hmm, maybe not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm almost positive Recollections is Michaels' house brand.
The punch I got is the fairly intricate scallop with the flowers with teeny tiny petals in each scallop, so I am thinking that is why it doesn't like the cardstock too much. Maybe the not-as-detailed punch designs won't do feel like they are about to break. I guess I never noticed if punches normally come with instructions.
Good luck with yours! I think I might get the "X" design - still on the fence about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't seen the Recollections punches yet, but that is the name of Michaels house brand. I have several Recollections clear stamp sets and like them a lot. They are quite a bit cheaper than the other brands, especially with a coupon.

I've seen some other comments about intricate punches in general, even those made by Martha Stewart/EK Success. People have sometimes had trouble using them with heavier cardstock, no matter what the brand of punch. If the punch is neat looking, and priced right, I'm willing to work around the paper issue, and use thinner cardstock.

I have some coupons burning a hole in my pocket, so I think I'll make a Michaels run today and check out the Recollections punches.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I used the punch on regular cardstock. It punched well but you're right, it's not as sturdy as other brands. But....definitely cheaper to purchase. I have punched with other brands on heavy cardstock and sometimes it's hard to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Default Recollections Punch - border of hearts

I purchased the border stamp with the staggered hearts and had no problems even with cardstock. Only problem is there seem to be limited seasonal punches and no way to find them anywhere other than by chance at Michael's. Sad. No Web info either that I could find--even on Michael's sight. Odd

Linda A
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the one of the recollection punches it is the scalloped floral one, there is not a huge selection. I really like it, it punches through Bazill cardstock fine for me. It actually punches better than some of my MS punches. I find that if you try to open the trap door from the punch side it's almost impossible but if you open it from the lever side it's easier. I mean have the lever facing you. I don't know why that makes a difference but it does just seem to be easier that way. Oh, and definately get your nail fully into the little notch before you open it. It may seem simple, but it took me a while to figure out how to open it. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have seen these in the Michaels stores here...they are pink and white. I have not, however, bought any....I need to get a few of the newer MS ones first.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes