Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-03-2010, 04:56 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glitter

Hopefully this is the right place to post this... I've just used glitter on cards for the first time. I've always shied away from it. I used a white clear drying glue and then sprinkled the glitter on and tapped off the excess. My question is, do I also need to use a fixative of any kind? I hadn't thought I'd need to, but read a blip on another site with a woman saying she used fixative. I knew I'd better come to the experts.

Thanks, I appreciate your help. And, does anyone know how to keep glitter from going everywhere? My hubby keeps asking why our black cat has so much red sparkly on her...;)

Thanks again.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2010, 05:03 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I've never used a fixative but I too have a glittery black cat

Some glues grab the glitter better - I currently use that Martha Stewart gel glue and I love it. It's called all purpose gel adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2010, 05:59 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tina van-eickView Post
Thanks, I appreciate your help. And, does anyone know how to keep glitter from going everywhere? My hubby keeps asking why our black cat has so much red sparkly on her...;)

Thanks again.
Ahh, but glitter is the herpes of the crafting world. Not much you can do about it, except make sure to turn off the ceiling fan before you start sprinkling it

Myself, I don't use fixative over glitter - and I don't know that a regular fixative would do much to hold it in place anyway. It sounds like the glue that you're using should work fine to hold it, just don't let the glue dry enough to get a bit of a skin on it before sprinkling on the glitter. You could also put a piece of wax paper over the glitter and kind of press it into the glue before shaking off the excess; but only if doing so won't smoosh the glue out to where you don't want it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

If I am just doing an accent with glitter, I do not use a fixative. However, if I am doing a technique that uses a lot of glitter, such as glitter stained glass, or glittering brass stencils, I use a fixative. I use the Krylon Triple Gloss Clear Acrylic Spray. It does not dull the sparkle from the glitter in any way and seems to cement it in place so it doesn't rub off as easily on your card recipient.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

I wait for it to dry and add a light layer of clear drying glue to the top. The effect turns out like the DCWV glittered paper and it won't go anywhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

LuckyGal, I have the Krylon Triple Gloss Clear Acrylic Spray and was thinking about using that if I needed a fixative...thanks. ScrappyJess...how simple can that be...what a great solution to just put some more glue on it. UnderstandBlue, so far the glue I'm using seems to be holding the glitter just fine, but I'll definitely keep Martha Stewart's glue in mind for my next purchase. All of you are great! I knew I'd get the answer I needed here.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Likes