Here's how I do the break out technique.
- Bring photo into photoshop
- Drag in and size a frame (can also do a stroked selection)
- Click photo layer and use lasso tool to do a rough selection the part of the image that will be the break out. Be sure to include the image inside the frame.
- Copy selection to a new layer and name it Break Out
- Hide the photo layer
- Remove background from the break out layer (selection tools, eraser, masking - whatever you are comfortable with)
- Move breakout layer above frame layer
- Unhide photo
- Click on the frame layer
- Use magic wand selector and click outside the frame
- Expand selection (Select/Modify/Expand) if needed so that it is at the edge is right at or just inside the outer edge of the frame.
- Click the photo layer and press delete
- Create a new layer under the break out layer and name it Shadow
- Use a soft brush to paint in a shadow behind the breakout.
If you need visuals, I have it on my blog with the images.