Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default score board ?

I don't have a score board yet and I'm wondering which is better for cardmaking, the Scor-Pal, the Martha Stewart Score board or the Scor-buddy? I do craft at home but go to regular crops. Any suggestions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I have the Martha Stewart board. I bought it using a coupon at Michael's so it suited my budget. It works fine. But it is LARGE. 12 x 12. The tool that comes with it for making your creases is thinner and more flexible than the bone folder I have from Stampin' Up. It actually kind of hurt my hand to hold it and score the entire 12 inch length.

On designer paper; the tool works fine. On heavier weight card stock I had trouble with "jumping" out of the groove so I switched to my heavier bone folder and had to go nice and slow to stay where I wanted. There are grooves every 1/8". Which can be hard on the eyes.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Scor-Pal except some people have trouble since there is no 1/8" marking. But I guess some "figuring" is required to use the Scor-Pal that is eliminated using Martha's board. It is also large, not sure if it's a complete 12 x 12.

I've only seen videos of people using the Scor-Buddy. Quite frankly, if you are only interested in card making and won't be using 12 x 12 paper, I'd say the Scor-Buddy would be a good way to spend your money. I want to buy one myself but can't justify the extra cost. The Scor-Buddy is smaller and more portable, and seems to have all the markings you would need while making cards. It even has special symbols for the groove at 4 1/4" ( the halfway mark when scoring a half piece of 8 1/2 x 11 paper for the A2 size card )....and two symbols to show where to score if you want to make a "gate-fold" card. Pretty cool.

I know GinaK uses the Scor-Buddy on some recent videos at StampTV.com. If you want to see the other two boards in action check YouTube and put in Scor-Pal or Martha Stewart Score Board and see what you come up with.

Hope this helps!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have a Scor Buddy, so I can't speak for that one BUT between the other two:

I have both the Scor Pal and the Martha Stewart board and love them both. You can't beat the price of the Martha board (especially with the coupon) and it is really nice having the trenches every 1/8". I don't like the scoring tool that came with it at all, though; I use a Martha bone folder instead and am very happy with that. It's also really nice that it comes with the envelope guide.

To be perfectly honest, I really prefer the "feel" of the Scor Pal. If I'm scoring cardstock for cards or doing some other project where I don't need scores at other than 1/2" increments, that's the board I grab. The best I can describe the difference is that the Scor Pal feels more smooth than the Martha board.

Another difference is that the Martha board doesn't have a fence on the right side of the board, so if you are trying to score something longer than 12", it can flow off the side of the board. The Scor-Pal has a fence, but I can't say that I've had any problems scoring anything that doesn't fit inside the board - it just lays across the top of the ridge and would only be an issue if you were trying to score something close to that edge. In some cases, it's nice to have the fence because you can use it to line your paper up on the right instead of the left. So that's not really a pro or con in either direction, just something that's different.

Both boards are pretty much the same size - they handle 12x12 paper and have extra space at the top for storing the scoring tool. Martha's board has a storage bin with a lid; the Scor-Pal has a tool holder that the tool snaps into and you release with a push of a button.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I'm thinking that I would only be using it for cards so the scor-buddy seems to be a front runner right now. Thanks so much for the replies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Default Score Boards

I bought the Top Score multiboard from Joann's . It has no measurments on it. It except for letters. It tell you what line to use for A-2 cards and such but it is not mark. For just scores cards its fine. I did get the Martha Stewart board and I really like it. I have maade envelopes, boxes and cards with it and love it. I have never used the Score Pal or Score Buddy so I can't compare. But I have had no problems with Martha's. My tool does not jump from the tracks. I think if you go really fast maybe that would be a problem but I have small hands with long fingers and tool is very comfortable. I love it. And the price is great esp. with a coupon. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

These might be helpful:

YouTube - Martha Stewart Score Board vs Scor-Pal
YouTube - Comparison Between MS Scoring Board and ScorPal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I just won a Scor-Buddy in the DTGD challenges here on SCS. Man do I love it! It has more 1/8 score lines, still has the gate fold and tri fold lines, and it is smaller. I reach for it all the time now. (I also have the Scor-Pal)
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a score-it board that I loved but then switched to Martha Stewart and love it also.

I wanted to keep the larger size but I wanted light weight and MS is great for this

The 1/8" lines don't bother me because the paper covers the lines s0 I son't really see them

I also switched to my regular pointed tip bone folder - easier on the fingers

I haven't used the envelope template so I can't say if it's good

I got my MS with 40% off coupon and since I really like it, it's a great bargin for the price
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, my favorite subject! Scoring Boards! I have to say the Scor-Pal is the best! I have the Scor-Pal and the Scor-Buddy, and love them both! For 1/8 in markings I simply move my paper over as there is a marking for 1/8 increments at the zero to one inch and eleven to twelve in markings. I don't have to make 1/8 in scores very often.
I have picked up the Martha Stuart score board to examine it, and the grooves are not as deep as the Scor-Pal. Since I have not used it, I can't make a comment on it's ability to score and make comparisons. I have read that those who have purchased it really like it, but they sometimes use a different scoring tool to make the scores.
I love the Scor-Buddy because I do make mostly cards and LOVE taking it to card swaps! It is a cool tool! Same nice scores as the Scor-Pal
I had a Skore-It. It was very nice. I like the very clean, very professional scores it made, but it could only score one score at a time and you had to move the paper to make more scores. I ended up giving it to a friend who was just starting out in this wonderful craft of card making and scrap-booking. She likes it too.
I just prefer the Scor-Pal. It is always in use in my craft room, and I love how simple it is to use! Also love the self healing cutting mat that comes with it. I turn the mat over to use as my work space as it is smooth as silk and I can assemble my cards on this surface and use it as a great stamping surface too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

ok I've narrowed it down to the Martha Stewart Score board or the scor buddy. I do cards and go to crops. Do I really need the larger martha one? I'm not anywhere near a Walmart/Michaels so I'd have to wait or buy online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2010, 05:09 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently got the Martha Stewart board and I love it! It is large but it's lightweight and their is a compartment to hold the bone folder so it doesn't get lost plus I love the envelope maker that comes with it, it also stores underneath so they won't get separated.
I also mostly make cards but last week I wanted to make one of those accordian folded embellishments and was glad to have the 12" length.
Plus I think you just really can't beat the price!

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw here's a review I did of it, if you're interested:

Product Review: Martha Stewart Scoring Board � Stamping @ CraftGossip

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2010, 07:30 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

I'm glad I found this...I've been thinking about getting one of the scor boards. Up until recently, I never understood why people would need to have one because most paper cutters have a score blade that you can use. But looking at these, I guess it would be nice to be able to just lay your paper on the board and make all your score marks you need versus having to "re-measure" where you want your next score line with the paper cutters. Is this the only reason for these or am I missing something? I also called Michaels and Joanns and they don't carry the Scor-Pal. Is there a store that does or is it strictly an online purchase?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2010, 07:38 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelthoView Post
I'm glad I found this...I've been thinking about getting one of the scor boards. Up until recently, I never understood why people would need to have one because most paper cutters have a score blade that you can use. But looking at these, I guess it would be nice to be able to just lay your paper on the board and make all your score marks you need versus having to "re-measure" where you want your next score line with the paper cutters. Is this the only reason for these or am I missing something? I also called Michaels and Joanns and they don't carry the Scor-Pal. Is there a store that does or is it strictly an online purchase?

I only use the scoring blade on my trimmer when I'm not at home. I have a heavy hand so I tend to tear the paper with the scoring blade whereas with the bone folder I don't.

Also, I make a lot of 3D items so I have multiple scores. When I used my Score-it I had to mark the score lines with a pencil to make sure I score in a straight line but with MS I no longer have to mark my paper.

These tools are a nice to have item and for me I produce better quality work by using one. It's kind of like a SAMJ - critical nope, but it really helps.

My Michaels only carries the MS. Don't know about where to get a ScorPal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2010, 08:47 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I have had the ScorPal for some time and found it perfect for making multiple fold cards. I won the ScorBuddy from Splitcoast and ScorPal during DTGD Challenge. It is my new best friend. I used it for every card I made for VSN. It didn't make me a better card maker, but it made cardmaking easier! The Scorbuddy is a great size for packing up to take along.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2010, 10:07 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelthoView Post
That's how I felt about it - then I saw the cool embossed lines that the ladies here were accenting their cards with. Even just a straight line adds some punch to a card; you can get really creative with square & diamond shapes, too.

Once I got the board for that, I knew I would never go back to scoring with my trimmer. The score boards are so much faster, the fold is never off by 1/32", and on the Scor-Pal, the lines for A2 cards, and gatefolds are premarked. The lines to fold a standard sheet of paper in thirds are also marked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2010, 10:47 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the Scor-Pal & the Scor-Buddy. I love love love them both. I only do cards and boxes or bags or things like that, no scrapbooking stuff. I keep the Pal out all the time right next to my cutter and the Buddy next to my work area for the details and card scoring (which are not close to where I cut!). I love the size and convenience of the Buddy. They both have places to hold the bone folder, the Buddy has its own pouch to store in and I find I"m slipping lots of project things in there to take with me when I have a few minutes somewhere to work on... I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2010, 11:17 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I used the Scor-Pal for a long time until I found the Martha Score Board. Although the Scor-Pal served me well for all the time I had it, my vote is for Martha's board. It is very sturdy, and I love the 1/8" increments. I don't want to spend a lot of time "figuring out" where to put my paper to get the score I want, and with the Martha board, I don't have to worry about figuring out anything!

As was mentioned earlier, the score tool that comes with the MS board is a bit flimsy, but I use a regular bone folder (actually the MS pink blingy one) instead, and it works great.

I don't have any trouble with either board skipping as long as I'm paying attention and not going too fast. But that might be because I use a heavier weight scoring tool. You might want to do that anyway, as they wear out really fast. A regular bone folder won't wear out like that cheaper plastic that comes with the boards.

I can see the draw to the Scor-Buddy if all you want it for is a regular card. I would even consider getting one for myself to carry to swaps with me, as some people don't pre-score their cards. So if you just want something small for just cards, my vote would be something small like the Scor-Buddy. Otherwise, if you want a multi-purpose scoring tool, the MS wins (IMO) hands down for its versatility.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2010, 09:57 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

My friend has the Scor Pal and Scor buddy when she saw my Martha Stewart Board she told me I made the right choice and there was no need to think about buying any other, she said it does everything the other two do combined, and for much cheaper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2010, 05:55 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

I recently gave away my Scor-Pal to a friend.
I tried, really tried to love the Scor-Pal, but ended up using it for some score marks and then putting the cs back in my trimmer for other ones. It became too frustrating, so, I'm going with the Martha Stewart one. I can lay the cs on it and not have to add/subtract or move my card stock. The MS one makes more sense and saves more cents!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

This topic has a post about another new board too
Reply With Quote Likes