View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
Krafty*Kate
Matboard Maniac

Arrow Desperately Need Help w/Scrabble Tile Pendants!

Hello, I am hoping that some of my SCS friends can help me with a problem. This past weekend I tried to make Scrabble tile pendants. I followed a tutorial I found on the internet and first I sealed the images (which were printed on high quality photo paper on a really nice laser printer) with glossy mod podge. Once dry, I glued the cut out photo paper image to the wooden tile with Diamond Glaze and allowed to dry overnight. Then the next day I applied a coat of Diamond Glaze to the top of the tile - to coat the image and give a glossy look. Allow this coat to dry overnight and then apply a second coat of the Diamond Glaze.

I did not notice a problem at first, but today when I looked at the tiles again I noticed that I was able to peel up the image from the wooden tile. It almost seemed like the paper had two layers and the top layer with the image came off, leaving the bottom layer with the glue on top of the tile. I also noticed that I was able to make an indention in the Diamond Glaze with my fingernail and there were also smudges on the glossy top surface. Should the top surface of these pendants be hard and impenetrable or does it stay “soft”? I do not actually have the Diamond Glaze brand, but was using a similar product called Aleene’s Paper Glaze, which seemed to be the same thing, just another brand? I also have Glossy Accents so maybe that would work better and dry harder??? Maybe I should wait longer between the first and second coat of glaze?

Has anyone else encountered similar problems in making these pendants? I think one problem is that I applied too thick of a coating of the Diamond Glaze in both the first and second applications, but I was trying to make it thick so it would have a nice domed look like the ones I have seen on Etsy. Also, maybe I should try a different type of glue when gluing the image to the actual wooden tile so I can avoid the paper peeling off? What type of glue do you use to adhere the image to the tile? How do you get the nice dome when applying thin layers of glaze?

I am trying to make these necklaces for a craft show so I want them to be nice and not fall apart after people buy them! Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks so much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!