View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #571
jacqueline
Gallery Gazer

Oh my friends - you crack me up...if we all did live closer we'd get in all sorts of trouble.

Michelle - I hear you about sliding down the airplane shoot...beers? How about a bottle of tequila? I've often fantasized of pushing co-workers down the stairs or customers/media having to work here - they probably wouldn't last too long and would stifle their comments if they had any idea what it was really like.

Karo - aw shucks about the Magnolia stamps. I recently got some when I jumped on the copic bandwagon. Here is inside info about the "pink stuff". I have it too in the shower and in Piper's water bowl - have to wash it constantly.

WHAT IS THAT PINK STUFF?
FACTS ABOUT SERRATIA MARCESCENS

Serratia Marcescens is a common species of bacteria that occurs naturally throughout the environment, appearing more frequently in humid conditions.

This bacterium is thought to be the source of a pink residue often found on bathroom fixtures, including the sink, shower, and along the water line of the toilet bowl.

While testing to determine the exact nature of this pink-colored growth would be both costly and time-consuming, scientists and laboratory analysts have concluded it is the bacteria species Serratia Marcescens.

Serratia Marcescens can survive in even nominal conditions, often feeding upon itself in the absence of other nutrients. It thrives in the moist, dark conditions often found in bathrooms.

Since this bacterium is prevalent in dusty conditions, it will oftentimes appear during construction or renovation when dust and airborne particles are stirred up.

Serratia Marcescens is not an indicator of poor water quality in the distribution system. Rather, the residue is thought to result from airborne bacteria and is also affected by a homeowner’s cleaning habits.

For many years, S. Marcescens was considered both harmless and useful. It was utilized, for example, by scientists and teachers alike for experiments to track the presence of other microbes. However, the bacterium was later theorized to cause urinary tract infections, pneumonia and other health-related problems in some people and is, therefore, no longer used for this purpose. While S. Marcescens generally does not adversely affect most individuals, those with compromised immune systems should take special precautions or consult with a health care professional.

The United States Environmental Protection Agency does not require mandatory testing for the bacterium. Because the bacterium travels freely throughout the air in some homes, testing and treatment would do little to prevent the production of the bacterium.

There are several methods that homeowners can use to control the development of this pink residue. Products containing chlorine, such as common household bleach, will both remove and control the proliferation of S. Marcescens. Also, keep bathroom fixtures dry and free of standing water, paying special attention to the rim underneath the toilet.

Well, have to go to a meeting - talk more later.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!