View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #263
sarahstampart
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamptician View Post
Thanks Cassandra! You know my whole intention in this is to have fun- to bring back my joy of creating. Somewhere along the way, I lost that. I think I got too caught up in try to play other challenges out there (especially those of member companies) hoping to get recognized and offered a DT position. And the thing is...all those DT's are for stamp companies. I'm a scrapbooker through and through. Yeah, I can make a card and I enjoy it but, it simply is not where my heart is. So, I had to stop and ask myself..."Why are you putting so much effort into something that is clearly not in your heart?" Just to maybe get recognized and offered a DT position or win a contest. That's just silly. From now on I'm creating for me. Pursue your dreams. Don't allow yourself to get sidetracked by what everyone else wants. Follow your heart. It will show in your artwork and it does already.
OMW- you have really touched on something I am currently dealing with there, Jennipher!!!

I was introduced to stamping a little over 6 years ago. I jumped into being a SU! demo very quickly in hopes of being able to acquire some stamps and supplies. Well, in the process of doing that I developed quite a business, but was devoting a LOT of time to it. For 6 years I have been devoting myself and my time to making sure I had really great projects for my clubs (I had 6 groups of ladies who regularly met), cards and projects for stamp camps, and I made sure my customers were getting their scrapbooks done and their Christmas cards made, etc. I had 11 demonstrators in my downline and held meetings for them and helped them get their businesses up and running.

Well, at the height of my small business success I had a fall (slipped on water on the kitchen floor) and injured my right arm and hand. I had just designed my DD's wedding invitations (but not yet made them all and only had a couple months to get them done). Thankfully, my best friend and several of my wonderful fellow-demo friends came to my rescue and in production line fashion got them ALL made! My best friend also made all the stamped table accessories I had planned.

Well, I got through that and thank the Lord my hand healed. But, it wasn't long after that (and now only weeks before DD's wedding) that I was in a car accident- hit by a drunk driver. I (again) had an injury to my hand, but much more significant was my back injury. Three years later I am still dealing with it.

So, over the last 3 years I have had to all but totally give up my business. My sales plummeted, and my downline basically dissolved. I have had to re-assess everything I now do that has anything to do with stamping!
In the process, I have realized that I no longer can have or even desire to have a "business". Sure, I have a few customers to keep me afloat and "active". But I am so "over it". I have looked back at my 6 years with SU! and see that yes, I have a LOT of supplies! Waaaay too many stamps and accessories, actually. I desperately need to weed out!

But what have I accomplished as far as stamping goes? Well, as I said, a lot of projects have been made for my customers. But I really have not done much for "me". I have made lots and lots of gifts for others- even scrapbooks for friends and loved ones. But I have never even made a complete book for myself! And that is what my original goal was- to get into scrapbooking, but I ended up being sidetracked by cards which led to becoming a demo, lol!

Anyway, my whole point in all of this is this:
I have now come to realize that what I most love to do is to make cards for others that bring a smile to their faces; a blessing to their lives. I have been feeling a strong desire to create cards that are Christian based, so to speak. I love to give people cards of encouragement or get well cards and cards with scripture on them. And through my blog I hope to share the word of God in a small way through my card making.

And on a personal goal level, I really want to do more scrapbooking. We never had a wedding album done (couldn't afford it when we got married and didn't have a very good photographer, but I do at least have quite a few pictures). And, after having four children, I have what seems like a million pictures, but never got around to making a single baby book! So, I would love to put these pics into scrapbooks.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I really relate to what you are saying Jennipher as far as where I am and where I am going with my creating. I started in one direction, got caught up in another and now I am looking at it all and trying to re-direct myself.

I would LOVE to be on a design team! I think it would be great fun, but I just don't know if I am anywhere near that level as far as my ability goes. My gosh- there are soooo many very, very talented stampers out there!
So for now I am just spending my time trying to make cards that I want to share with others on my blog and that I personally send/ give to people. I am really tired of the demo thing and think I need to get away from it before I lose the fun of it altogether, kwim? It's time to move on, and I am just praying that God shows me the direction HE wants me to go with it!

Wow- sorry to ramble on at such length, lol!!! But I really can relate to what you said!
Design Team Member for Scrap Your Crap
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!