View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #193
meloleary
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
Welcome Carol! Glad you found us! I myself am a recovering Catholic. Unlike Sewsplendid, I was a slow learner (questioner?) like you. I sort of came by the route of "Why is it ok for for women to be treated like ****?

If you don't mind sharing, has your husband come to question god or is he still a churchgoer? Have you shared your change of mind with anyone?
If I minded sharing, I wouldn't be on this thread in the first place! It's likely that most everyone I know and love has heard my soapbox speech.

My beloved husband probably came to question the existence of god even before I did. He used to quote a famous Irish author (Brendan Behan, I think, but I could be wrong), who always said he was the only decent religion for an Irishman -- a bad Catholic. He did feel the need to take our son to be baptized, but I think that was as much hedging his bets as anything else.

Gerry passed away suddenly in November 2004, just before I took up papercrafting. It was a good thing I had good friends who were Catholics or recovering Catholics; his family lives pretty far away and it was funny to see the Jewish girl making funeral arrangements with the priest. I knew his father would rest easier knowing he'd had the Catholic funeral rites, and I didn't think it mattered much. The one place I put my foot down was that Gerry HATED cemeteries his whole life, and I wasn't going to make him spend eternity in one; I had him cremated.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!