View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #157
meloleary
Insane Embellisher

I'm new here; I just found the thread. Thought I'd introduce myself and tell you about my "spiritual journey," just as it is.

When I was young, I though I'd be a rabbi. I majored in philosophy and religion, and I went to a small liberal arts college in Pennsylvania that was affiliated with the United Church of Christ, so I did a fair bit of comparative religion. I fell in love and married an Irish Catholic boy from Boston who was educated for 8 years by nuns and 4 years by Jesuits. We both came from devout-ish families, and we were married by a Jesuit priest and a Reform rabbi in a beautiful ceremony that mixed parts of both faiths that were meaningful to us. We celebrated lots of holidays with both our families and exposed our son to enough of both faiths to allow him to make his own decisions. For a couple of years we attended a Unitarian Universalist church as a family.

Several years ago, it occurred to me to reflect that over thousands of years of human history, virtually every single culture has had a creation myth and a code of ethical behavior. What makes us so certain that the one we ascribe to -- the Judeo-Christian one -- is the only one that is "true?" We've all seen that ghastly bumper sticker -- God said it, I believe it, That settles it. Well, that *doesn't* settle it. That's how I became an atheist.

Penn Jillette, the taller and more talkative member of Penn and Teller, did an essay for This I Believe a couple of years ago in which he laid out his core philosophy that people should be good because they are good people, not because of fear of some god or some eternal punishment. I think he's right. Thanks for reading this far.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!