View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #48
calecian
Rubber Obsessor

This was my first time participating in VSN and, to be completely honest, the reason I never looked into this before was I associated VSN with Vamp Stamp News magazine and thought it had something to do with that . . . (duh!!) . I’m not sure what piqued my curiosity this time, but I sure am glad it happened. I followed a link to this thread after reading all the rules and regulations and enjoyed the many tips shared—both serious and tongue-in-cheek.

After reviewing the shopping list, I gathered all the items on the list, as well as other items I thought “might” fit in (i.e., various metallic embellishments—brads, eyelets, charms, rub-ons, etc.). I had several monoadhesive applicators on stand-by (just in case one of them got buried in the paper confusion). I set out a pencil cup and put my blender pens, scissors, glue pens, pencil, and paper piercer in it. Had a place for my Spellbinders Nestability dies, my cutter(s), markers, punches, etc. I took notice of the themes (Olympic Event and Music) and tried to think creatively and make sure to have stamps, papers, etc., that fit those categories. Since it was an Olympic Event, I also had some patriotic themed stamps and papers on stand-by. I made sure that if there was a call for embossing, everything was there – powder trays, embossing powders, embossing buddy, etc. The preparation beforehand was very helpful. Cardstock colors tended to be repeated and combined differently so that I could use up as much as possible without have a lot of bits and pieces to have to file away. After cardstock was cut, the extras were put in a standing file folder to keep clean and to be able to access easily.

The excel spreadsheet listing the challenges was very helpful! I used that as a guide to set up my folders for uploading my pictures. It made it very easy to categorize and keep them organized on my computer.

I did try to practice “clean as you go” . . . it worked for cleaning and setting aside my stamp sets, but I still have some stray papers to deal with as well as putting away the other supplies (glitter, brads, eyelets, etc.), but that will be easy to deal with.

I learned that:

• the women who are the hostesses put a lot of time and thought into these challenges, including researching history, etc., and deserve a lot of credit and respect;
• computer glitches happen . . . luckily the threads can be found in secondary locations and someone behind the scenes is very quick to resolve any issues;
• I should not have given up chocolate for Lent . . . not that I would have had a lot of time to consume the chocolate, but a cup of hot chocolate sure would have been great! (what was I thinking – it’s the middle of winter and we were getting snow?!?!);
• this was a GREAT way to try a few new techniques/card formats or to revisit techniques that you haven’t used in a while;
• this will really get your thinking cap going (yep, that was the smoke detector going off!);
• I have a LOT of snow to shovel tomorrow;
• brain freeze – I couldn’t think any longer, and resorted to watching the chat threads for a while in a stamp stupor;
• Saturday is a good day to do a crock pot meal while participating in VSN (that is, provided the GFCI outlet doesn’t blow and you find out several hours later that everything is stone cold – thank goodness it was only soup and could heat up rather quickly!);
• I can make a decent card in under 45 minutes – well, somewhat decent, certainly not as decent as some of the other ladies’ creations;
• I have embellishments that have been sitting in drawers just waiting for their moment to shine (musical note eyelets, for instance!);
• I envy those of you who have understanding husbands—cats are not as understanding, they still want to be fed at their regular time and receive cuddles and attention (you want cuddles and attention now?????);
• I should have looked into VSN sooner than I did (better late than never, right?) and not made an assumption based on the letters (you know what they say about when you assume); and
• I will be watching for VSN updates in the future

Thank you, ladies, for such a wonderful job putting all of this together, for your kind and encouraging comments and guidance, and for letting me “play” along.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!