Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-14-2010, 06:26 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing Acrylic stamps in CD Cases

I am looking for a better way to store my Acrylic stamps. I currently have a bunch of rubber stamps mounted on EZmount, pressed to a piece of glossy cardstock and stored in clear CD cases. Is it safe to store my clear Acrylic stamps the same way?

Right now they are in their original packaging, in sheet protectors which are in a 3 ring binder but this is not working well for me. The original packaging is tearing & I would like to consolidate my collection of stamps in 1 place. I have the Jetmax 4 drawer cubes with lots of room to add more CDs so I need to know if this is a safe option.

Thanks for your input,
Pam
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 07:21 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I store my acrylics in CD cases, but I am not certain it is safe for the stamps. I try to keep them on the plastic sheets that they came on (trimming as needed to fit in the cases). I store them in a CD book case that is away from direct heat and light, and so far they are all doing great. I have heard that some people have had problems if they stick the stamps directly onto the case, they can't get them off again, or they become sticky. I am interested to see what others think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Annie, thanks for the reply. There was a thread on SCS a while back about stamps mounted on ezmount loosing their stickiness when stored for a long time on CD cases. Because of this problem Sunday International started selling insert panels to press your stamps to before putting them in the CD cases. I followed someone here's suggestion and bought some glossy cardstock to accomplish the same goal & so far have not had any more problems with my unmounted rubber.

The thing is, I'm not sure what is safe for the acrylic stamps. Can I press them to the CD case or should I press them to the glossy cardstock first or should I try cutting the panel they come on down to fit the CD case? Or, are CD cases just not a healthy environment for Acrylic? I just am not sure & I don't want to ruin them by storing them inproperly.

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 07:41 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

All excellent questions! These are the same things I am wondering about too. I also want to know if there are any cleaners that harm acrylic stamps. I am sure someone out there has the answers, and is willing to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, PaperTreyInk sells theirs in a cd holder, so I don't think there's an inherent problem in doing that. The main problems I've heard about have to do with the EZ Mount itself, not the polymer stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard that Staz-On Cleaner isn't good for photopolymer stamps.

Also, I think clear stamps are fine to put on CDs like Ms Betsy Z says.

For rubber stamps on EZmount, I bought some inserts (binder sheets safe for EZmount) from Gina K:
http://www.shop.ginakdesigns.com/pro...&categoryId=25
because I read that after maybe a year of EZmount being on acetate it loses its stickiness??? Dunno if that's so 'cause I haven't had my EZmount stamps for more than a year yet, but I don't want to risk it to find out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

The problem with the ezmount loosing it's stickiness is true. When I started removing my stamps from the CD cases to stick them to the glossy cardstock inserts some of them left an impression on the CD case because they had been on it for so long & seemed less sticky than the newer stamps. Fortunately, I caught the problem before I needed a major remount job. That is part of the reason why I want to be so careful with my acrylics. At least with the rubber I just had to replace some EZfoam but with the acrylics I run the risk of ruining the actual stamp. I remember reading one time not to store them on something because it would cause the acrylic to slowly disintegrate but I can't remember what that "No-No" was. At the time, I didn't have any Acrylics so I didn't pay close enough attention. Now I'm kicking myself.

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I hope someone will post an answer because I'm just starting to un-mount my rubber stamps using ez-mount and planned to put them in cd cases. Will this cause problems later on down the road?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I am so frustrated with how to store my cling and clear stamps. I have tried a few different approaches - but not happy with any of them. I noticed my sheet protectors were warping and getting 'funny'.... so I pulled them all off... but now they are waiting for a new system! I am wondering if I get the more expensive sheet protectors that are PVC free and arcival approved... will that help? I would prefer to keep these stamps in a ring binder... I can't afford to invest in a ton of new stuff. That EZ cling is expensive enough and the stamps. But I would sure like a systematic way to store and FIND them when I want them!

I picked up one of those older - magnetic sheet albums that was on sale - and am thinking that it seems alot like the inserts I purchased from EZ mount a while back - stamps seem to cling well to them and the light weight cover protects the front of stamp too... it stays PVC free and archival safe, so does that mean it is safe for unmounted stamps and clear stamps? Would sure appreciate hearing from someone who really knows the details on this. THanks & Blessings - Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay, I found this thread again:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Look at Post 23 by Gina K. She gives information on storage for CLING-mounted rubber stamps.

But this still leaves uncertainties regarding clear stamps and the "no no" thingie...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 05:20 AM   #11  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nana PamView Post
I am looking for a better way to store my Acrylic stamps. I currently have a bunch of rubber stamps mounted on EZmount, pressed to a piece of glossy cardstock and stored in clear CD cases. Is it safe to store my clear Acrylic stamps the same way?

Right now they are in their original packaging, in sheet protectors which are in a 3 ring binder but this is not working well for me. The original packaging is tearing & I would like to consolidate my collection of stamps in 1 place. I have the Jetmax 4 drawer cubes with lots of room to add more CDs so I need to know if this is a safe option.

Thanks for your input,
Pam
personally, i hated the CD storage idea. i used it for a while, especially when PTI started shipping CD cases with the sets i ordered, but i hate that small pieces have the potential for falling out ... and while the size worked for my clear polymer sets, they weren't a good way to store my other unmounteds [rubber on ezmount] because i couldn't keep an entire set in one case.

so, i switched. i know use the storage panels made by Sunday International [GinaK, ATS, and others sell them too]. and, i keep them in binders that i purchase [for a GREAT price] direct from Univenture.

you'll read more about this method, and what others are saying about it in this thread.

this method works for me for several reasons:
  • i like that the binder cases are completely sealed, so i don't have to worry if small stamps fall of the panels [which hasn't happened yet, but i still worry].
  • the panels are big enough to hold an entire set [i only have one set that spans 1 and a half panels].
  • it works for both rubber with EZ mount and clear polymer sets so all my stamps can be stored together.
  • the binder makes it easy to note what's in it since it has a clear outer sleeve you can insert paper in [like a cover].
  • the panels and binders are reasonably priced, and i just buy more when i outgrow my current storage.
i hope this info is helpful to you.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was at a SU party last night and they have the clear "cd" cases now in the mini catalog that just came out. I was thinking of using them for my clear stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have my $ stamps and little stamps in cd cases and then MM ones in the MM storage case (I won it!), technique tuesday ones in a binder and all the rest in the tote. Sounds like a lot of differnet ways but they are all in easy reach and I know whats in each one! I did have a lot more in cd cases the other day but put them back in their original packaging!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm going to buy some of the new SU containers to store my acrylic stamps. If I like them I'll switch over all my acrylic stamps to these. The CD cases just aren't working out for me. Some of my little stamps have "escaped" from the CD cases...even though I put a big rubberband around the case.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:25 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I just purchased the SU holders for all my 'repositional' stamps. Not that I have a lot. I love the size of the case (DVD size) and how much room it will free up in the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

I put a strip of 3M non-permanent double-sided tape in my CD cases when I have tiny stamps. The tape is made to be safe in scrap books and is acid free etc. so I don't think it will cause any harm to my stamps. I just use the stamp and stick it back in the case when I am done. It works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had clear stamps on the actual CD case for years and they all stamp and stick fine.

I agree I've had issues with the ez mount type ones and the cd cases, so those I do cut down glossy cardstock for them. I stamp the image on the not glossy side of the cardstock, then stick the stamp to the glossy side and put that whole thing into the CD case. It's working great for me a few years later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Are the SU containers a different material from CDs, or can they too create a problem with the EZmount?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I LOVE these!!! I can get many stamps in 1 case. They come in 3 different sizes and are perfect for clear, unmounted and wood mounted stamps.
And they all stack together.

STAMPENDOUS Stuftainer™
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I've used EZMount for my rubber stamps and put them into CD cases for at least 3 years now, and haven't had any problems with the cling losing its stickiness. Ugh, but now I'm concerned.. I can't imagine switching to a new system now, I have hundreds. It would cost me a fortune! Now I'm going to be checking all my sets just to double check.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Michelle, I was in a similar situation. Too many stamps mounted on ezmount foam & stored in CD cases to be able to switch storage systems affordably. What I did to protect myself was buy a ream of acid free glossy cardstock from a stationary store. I think it cost me about $15 for 80lb weight. When I cut the 8 1/2 by 11 sheets down I got 2 sheets that fit the CD container perfectly & 2 smaller sheets. I used the smaller sheets for the small sets. I was able to move all of my stamps on to the glossy cardstock & I still have lots of glossy cardstock for future sets or stamping projects. As I mentioned earlier I did have a few sets where I noticed some deterioration so I think I made the change in the nick to time (My thanks to the ladies here alerting me to the problem!).

It sounds like I can move my acrylic stamps to the CD cases without using the glossy cardstock. I am looking forward to having all of my stamps in 2 place.

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Thanks Pam.. I will keep my eyes open for glossy cardstock! Do you think Office Max or Office Depot would carry that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

All Clear stamps come on clear plastic sleeves I take those (for example MFT Stamps) I have to cut them in half and put 1/2 on each side of ONE CD Case, all you do is pop the black piece out (that holds your CD in) and you have a perfect storage solution, no small pieces fall out as they are stuck to their original packaging. I read on SCS that the clear will etch into the plastic CD Cases so I leave mine on teh plastic sheet they come with! I have pictures on my blog of my CD Cases on a book shelf.

I LOVE IT!!!! WAY less storage space and you can ALWAYS find those CD racks at garage sales! ;)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dyRhuG1KNN...h/IMG_7172.JPG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

The no no with clear stamps was acetate. Apparently over time a chemical reaction took place which caused the clear stamps to adhere to the acetate never to be removed without serious damage to the stamps. I stamp copy paper with the images, laminate the copy paper and attach clear stamps and ez mount rubber stamps to the laminated sheets. This is safe as is the CD cases.

Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 05:56 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusticusView Post
The no no with clear stamps was acetate. Apparently over time a chemical reaction took place which caused the clear stamps to adhere to the acetate never to be removed without serious damage to the stamps. I stamp copy paper with the images, laminate the copy paper and attach clear stamps and ez mount rubber stamps to the laminated sheets. This is safe as is the CD cases.
What is the difference between the plastic sheet that clear stamps come on and acetate? TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

Default Clear stamp storage

I use the plastic binder pockets from Staples or the new Close To My Heart 8.5" x 11" paper/stamp organizers. Both have 3 holes punched so they fit in a binder, with the opening on the long side, and a tab to close it securely. The CTMH ones are nice and heavy. I leave the stamps on their carrier sheets, and 2 or 3 sets will fit in each pocket, depending on their size. The stamps cling a bit to the pocket, which helps keep them in place. I've also used 3-ring binder inserts meant to hold CD's or baseball cards for smaller sets. I have a zippered binder that makes it easy to transport without losing any. I used to use CD jewel cases and have never had problems getting them off, although a few of the cheaper sets took some careful work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

I only have a few acrylic stamps sets, here is how I store them. I keep them on their original sheet and then place that in a DVD case. This allows more room for the entire sets. so far so good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Default How can you tell the difference - good ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
What is the difference between the plastic sheet that clear stamps come on and acetate? TIA
I wonder the same thing as Annie, how on earth do you tell the difference between what is safe and what isn't?

What is the difference between self-laminated sheets, laminated sheets purchased from (i.e. Sunday International, etc.), and heavy plastic divider sheets made for three ring binders? They all seem the same to me... I read the labels last time I was at the store, and they all stated they were achival quality, acid free etc. even the sheet protectors said this.

Yet I do know by personal experience that sheet protectors do not work. THANKFULLY only the plastic on the my sheet protectors warped and my stamps were not ruined!

I want a uniform organized way to store all my unmounted stamps - but I don't want to pay a small fortune to do so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelesteSView Post
I use the plastic binder pockets from Staples or the new Close To My Heart 8.5" x 11" paper/stamp organizers. Both have 3 holes punched so they fit in a binder, with the opening on the long side, and a tab to close it securely. The CTMH ones are nice and heavy. I leave the stamps on their carrier sheets, and 2 or 3 sets will fit in each pocket, depending on their size. The stamps cling a bit to the pocket, which helps keep them in place. I've also used 3-ring binder inserts meant to hold CD's or baseball cards for smaller sets. I have a zippered binder that makes it easy to transport without losing any. I used to use CD jewel cases and have never had problems getting them off, although a few of the cheaper sets took some careful work.
are you talking about the CTMH clear envies. their stamps come in?
can we/non demo buy these?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 178 Likes on 148 Posts

I use the new SU cases and love them because they hold so much. You can also stamp on a sheet of paper and insert it into the front and back of the case so you know what you have. There is a plastic sleeve to do this. I've done this with my Bible verses for card ministry.
Attached Thumbnails
Storing Acrylic stamps in CD Cases-new-stampin-up-boxes_small.jpg  
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.

Last edited by bensarmom; 01-20-2010 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: clarify what I wrote
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Aww man! I just started converting my Rubber/EZ mount Stamps over to CD cases. Dang it! I guess I'll do the glossy paper thing. Glad I didn't get them all done yet. CD cases are safe for clear stamps or, as others mentioned, PTI wouldn't use them. ACETATE like window sheets or transparencies can't be used with CLEAR stamps.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #32  
Glitter Queen

I, too, use CD cases for my clear, acrylic stamps. I leave the stamps on their marked sheets, trim to fit, then use glue dots (sparsely) to stick them in place in the CD case with the marked acrylic sheet toward the outside so I can see what's in the case (from either side of the case). I just try to put "like" stamps together (easier in finding what I want to use). I use my label maker to make strips for the ends of the CD case, put the CD cases on a shelf above my desk and they're easy to pick out at a glance. I try to find people who are ready to get rid of their CD cases (and so far, I've not had to buy any)...I use craigslist under "wanted" and ask for them. I thought about the notebook style, but this is so efficient, I'm very happy with this storage method. Haven't had any not stick or get lost yet. Whatever works for you........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #33  
Inking Addict

I found the cd cases impossible. I use 3 ring binders, and just put the stamp sets on their original plastic whatsit in page protectors. I stamp the images on a plain piece of paper, which I put in another page protector facing the stamps, so you can always see at a glance what you have. Don't know if that makes sense--the idea is you open the binder and have a page of stamped images on one side, while the stamps are on the other side. If the stamps' original plastic whatsit already has the image on it, you can skip the other part. For unmounted rubber stamps, I get these heavy glossy cardstock-type sheets (I can't think what they're called right now) from Starving Artistamps. So I mount a set on each side, and use page protectors with stamped images facing them, in the same fashion as I already poorly described for clear stamps. Then, I put all these binders on one of the cropper hopper metal carts. The other day I use a Michael's 50% coupon for this storage thing made by Inkadinkado, which is really just a glorified 3 ring binder, only you don't know that until you open up all the packaging, etc. I've muddled around with all kinds of storage and this seems to work the best for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2010, 05:47 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't understand how the stamps can "escape" from a CD case if they are shut... don't yours click closed? Mine do. AS LONG AS I only put the stamps in the "cut out" area in the middle for the disc they do not gap at all... perhaps you are putting it over the raised part?

For mounting rubber vs clear, I use tack n peel on my acrylic blocks on one side, and then I put the clear stamps on the "non" t n p side and the rubber on the tack n peel side and thus I get double use out of it without additional adhesive on the stamp itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2010, 07:26 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

I had put some of my Imaginesce(sp?) clear acrylic stamps in cd cases. They were only in there for about 4 months. When I went to use one, it seemed like it was melting itself to the case. So now I use the plastic sheet that they came on (yes, luckily I did save them) and now I have them stored in a zippered binder inside sleeves/pages. The individual stamps like Imaginesce and the Michaels $1 ones get stored in the baseball card sleeves. I have sets that that are on a 4x6 sheet, so I bought pages that have 2 pockets at 5x7 size. The pages are PVC free and so far I have had no problem with this method of storage for my acrylic stamps. The pages that I buy are UltraPRO.
Tammy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

This whole issue of clear and cling mounted stamp storage is driving me crazy! I want to store all of my stamps so they stay as good as new. I still don't understand the difference between acetate and the plastic sheets that clear stamps come on. I also don't quite understand if there is a difference between glossy cardstock and the products that are sold to mount cling stamps on.

I will give you all one more thing to think about. My DH is a baseball card collector. We were discussing the whole storage issue and he said that some old baseball cards, that have been stored in baseball card sleeve pages, stick in the sleeves and sometimes the card is ruined. I'm guessing if they ruin baseball cards, they would probably ruin clear stamps too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

If anyone would like some CD cases without the inserts I have 35 packed in a flat rate box. I do not want any money for the cases but the shipping is $10.30 or so. Let me know if you want them.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

I am so grateful that I got started with CTMH. I have one SU set that I removed the excess stickiness from and use on my clear blocks. I have maybe a dozen other clear sets from Stampendous, Hero Arts, etc stored in their original packaging and all non CTMH fits in one shallow drawer of a plastic cart. It is nice to have the storage "envelope" that CTMH stamps already come in; all I have to do is perfect the storage system for the "envelopes" now that I've outgrown my current plastic carts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #39  
Inking Addict

Default baseball sleeve pages

Do you suppose that if you use the baseball sleeve pages, but slide the stamps in - mounted on their original packaging, it would eliminate the degradation described? I'm thinking you could still organize and SEE them, but they would be safe in their original homes (plastic or acetate, whatever). Since I read the baseball card page suggestion (above) that's what I've done with my Michaels $1, etc., stamps. For me, organization is a never-ending struggle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
This whole issue of clear and cling mounted stamp storage is driving me crazy! I want to store all of my stamps so they stay as good as new. I still don't understand the difference between acetate and the plastic sheets that clear stamps come on. I also don't quite understand if there is a difference between glossy cardstock and the products that are sold to mount cling stamps on.

I will give you all one more thing to think about. My DH is a baseball card collector. We were discussing the whole storage issue and he said that some old baseball cards, that have been stored in baseball card sleeve pages, stick in the sleeves and sometimes the card is ruined. I'm guessing if they ruin baseball cards, they would probably ruin clear stamps too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #40  
Crimping Master

Suzie,
I am not sure, but I think keeping them on the plastic they come on is the answer. I have purchased stamps from two companies that are cling mounted. I wrote to both companies and one responded that as long as I kept them on the sheet they came on, I could still safely keep them in CD cases. I am hoping the same runs true with clear stamps. I would think that the plastics used to make CD cases and baseball card sleeves must have some sort of chemical reaction with the clear acrylic and/or cling foam. It is all very confusing and I wish someone would clear it up for all of us!

I know what you mean about the organizing.... it is a constant battle for me, too. Maybe I have too much stuff???.....................Nah!!!
Reply With Quote Likes