View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
heartwig
Insane Embellisher

Default Canadian Military Need Our Support (2010)

Hello,

I'm kind of starting "round 2" of this project. The original thread was about 11 pages long, so I thought I'd save everyone the grief of reading trying to figure out what it's about.

I collect handcrafted cards for our military. They are blank so that when they are given to the soldiers they are able to send a card home to their loved one.

The cards should be 1/4 fold (8.5x11 cut in half then folded in half) as they fit in the baggies and boxes better. If you use dark cardstock, please put a white insert in as the soldiers don't have access to metallic pens like we do.

Occasions should be generic because of the lead time for holidays. Some ideas: love, anniversary, birthday, hello, congratulations, miss you, smile, thinking of you, thank you, friend, encouragement, proud of you, just a note or blank.

I have two places for this year that the cards will be sent! The Edmonton Garrison is still taking our cards. They have found some creative ways to get them out to their soldiers (the government has cracked down on "general mail" going on the planes) and it sounds like it's working great. I talked to my contact today and she said they are all so appreciative of our efforts. The other place is through a fellow SCSer - punkapod. Her husband is willing to help us distribute them to another base. All will still go through me so that we can do counts - I will arrange for delivery to these two.

When you are ready to send cards, please PM me and I'll send you my address. Please include your SCS name when you send cards. I will send you a PM when they arrive.

Please include envelopes - all my Hallmark and Carlton sources are drying up (they are using the envelopes for local charities that they specifically support).

Check with Canada Post for the cheapest way to mail - usually express post envelopes - it's a flat rate and you can stuff it as full as you want (without damaging cards, of course).

If you need any other information please ask. I don't mind at all. Hope you'll join in to support our military and their families. They've had a tough go of it with the number of casualties.

Thank you!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!