View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Yahoo to Toy
Default TLC255 ~ Scratch N' Sniff ~ (01/11/10)

Good evening, friends!

This week we are making Scratch N Sniff cards!

First off, we’re going to need ‘’smell o’vision’’ for this technique! I thought it would bring some good smelly fun to the TLC.

You will need:
  • Stamps
  • Clear embossing powder (I found UTEE to work best, but regular will work, too)
  • A smelly additive (i.e. Kool Aid (non-sugared kind), Sugar free Jello, non-alcohol based perfume, scented oil, etc)
  • Versamark
  • Heat gun
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~
You are first going to create your embossing powder/scent mixture. If you are using Kool-Aid, the consensus is to use a 2 to 1 ratio (2 parts embossing powder to 1 part kool-aid).

If you are using a solid stamp (say, for instance, the fruit from Tart n Tangy), stamp in your desired color first. Then stamp over it with your versamark. Then add your smelly embossing powder and heat set.

Make sure you do not use kool-aid with sugar added. It will heat and burn your paper!

I started playing with the technique and found that you can also use non-alcohol based perfumes. I poured a generous amount of UTEE onto a piece of scratch paper and spritzed it with the perfume. I let it sit for about ˝ hour, then I used it to cover my image.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*

There is some school of thought that says heating your image from underneath works best, but I found that to be cumbersome and I had no problem going direct with heat. I did keep my heat gun on the low setting.

***Be careful who you give these cards to if you use perfumes! Some people are allergic***

Jane (Whoopsie Daisy here on SCS) wrote a great tutorial on the technique HERE. Thanks, Jane, for letting me use your tute!

You can also find lots of chatter on the subject in this THREAD.

Please remember to use KEYWORD TLC255 (no spaces) when uploading to the gallery.

ALSO: When uploading, please tell us what you used to make your scent so we can all *imagine* what it smells like!

You can see my sample HERE:

~ I Sewed A Card and I Liked It! ~

To view the TLC255 gallery, go HERE.

If you have any questions or issues uploading, please do not hesitate to post your question here or send me a PM!

Have fun, girls!

Last edited by Toy; 01-10-2010 at 08:10 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!