View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #100
tigerlily55
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksjones View Post
WOW! A Catholic preist saying there may not be a hell! I can understand the church changing to adapt to social norms, but to change a basic foundational pillar of the church...I just don't know what to say...I'm shocked.
I think most mainstream theologians discount a lot of things in the bible. It's just that the priests can't say it in church because the conservatives would raise hell with the bishops for any change. And the higher ups don't have any power over anyone if no one believes the stuff. I think church would be much more insteresting if people could really discuss this stuff.

They try to say the church never changes. However, it has changed. For one thing, papal infallibility didn't come about until the later 1800's. (correct me if I'm wrong) When the pope lost control of the papal states and Italy become a country he no longer had temporal power so he had to get himself more religious power.

Yes, all this knowledge I have acquired makes me see more and more why religion is superstition.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!