View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
Lynn in St. Louis
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via AIM to Lynn in St. Louis
Default TLC253 Van Gogh {12/28/09}

Today is my last official day as your TLC hostess. I've had a great time over the past year and a half bringing you new and hopefully, fun techniques to help bump your craft up a notch and inspire you to try something that you may not have otherwise. My leaving isn't a bad thing because I have great news! Holly McMillen a/k/a Toy (Dirty Dozen alumni) will take over as challenge hostess beginning next week. Holly will do a fantastic job as challenge hostess and she already has lots of ideas lined up for you.

For my last TLC, I have a fun technique that I'm hoping you will enjoy. It's call the Van Gogh Technique and I first saw this technique on the Technique Junkies newsletter back in June. It's called the Van Gogh technique because it mimics Vincent Van Gogh's unique ability to create scenes, shadows and dimension through the use of brush strokes. I thought it might be fun to share this technique with you since it can be easily be accomplished with markers - any kind of markers. While it's easy to accomplish (wouldn't Vincent roll over in his grave if he could he me say that), my sample is no where near as artistic as the masterful Van Gogh himself could produce. I'm anxious to see what you do with the technique.

What you will need for this technique:

Permanent Ink
Markers
Stamps (those with larger open areas, suitable for coloring work best)
cardstock

Begin by stamping your image onto your cardstock using your permanent ink. Color your image just like you normally would, but there is no need to highlight or do any shading...that comes in with the "Van Gogh" part of this technique.

Now, using the markers with shades darker than those used to color the image, add multiple brush strokes. For more interest, you may even use contrasting colors using the same type of brush strokes.

Once you are satisfied with the look, you may finish your card as desired.

To help you visualize the potential of this technique, check out this creation by dawnmercedes., or Leigh O'Brien's masterpiece HERE, and Lori Tecler has a beauty right HERE..

You may view my samples HERE.

To view all of the projects using the Van Gogh technique, CLICK HERE.

As always, don't forget to add you keyword TLC253 (no spaces) when you upload your project into the gallery.

Thanks again for your continued participation week after week and your support during my time as the TLC hostess. I look forward to playing along with you and Holly in the weeks to come.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!