View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #457
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Monday, December 14, 2009 2:18 PM, CST

Hello all,

We are not inpatient, yet...hopefully by tomorrow. We had quite a weekend around our household.

Isabella became ill with an intestinal/stomach virus starting in the wee hours of Saturday morning. This was the first time for us to attempt to manage her diabetes through bouts of vomiting and diarrhea. I think we did pretty good. I just kept checking her blood sugar pretty often and had her try the best she could to drink plenty of fluids. When a diabetic gets sick their blood sugar can become elevated. It seems the opposite should be happening and her blood sugar would drop if she is losing the contents of her stomach, but that is not the case. Luckily, it looks like this was a twenty-four hour bug and she went to school today. But the nasty little virus wasn't done claiming victims.

Between six and seven o'clock last night, in the short span of one hour, Corinthian, Sicily and I became ill, too, and we had Patrick running ragged. Now he is home with a temperature. Sicily bounced back like nothing happened. The one person in the house with the least amount of immunities and she's be-bopping around feeling spunky (she is currently napping in her brother's room, thankfully). Corinthian is starting to feel a little better, as am I, but we both feel weak and worn out. Patrick called the ped/onc clinic this morning as I was scheduled to take Sicily in at 10:30 to be admitted for treatment, but they just said to come in tomorrow, so I will attempt to take her in at 10:00. Meanwhile, we are all going to try to rest and take it easy. Boy, I tell ya...when it rains in our lives, it pours! Pray that Elias escapes what we all just went through and avoids this bug!

I will try to update when we get settled in our hospital room tomorrow. Patrick's sisters are still planning to come from Kansas to help us out for the next two days. I'm spraying everything down with Lysol!

Love to you all!

Kerry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!