View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
Lynn in St. Louis
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via AIM to Lynn in St. Louis
Default TLC249 Metal Washer Pendant Necklace {11/30/09}

Tis the season of gift giving and today's TLC will have you making these adorable necklaces that are so easy to make, but look so awesome. You are going to love these and they make wonderful gifts!

You can embellish them or make them simple to suit your taste. This would also be a fun project to do with the kids as they select designs and doo-dads to add. Grandma or that special aunt will treasure the beautiful pendant necklace that your child creates just for her. You're sure to have fun, just don't tell your husband where all of his metal washers went. It will be our secret. The most time consuming part of this project is waiting for the Crystal Effect, Crystal Lacquer, Glossy Accents or what every clear glaze is your favorite choice.

I saw THIS POST (<-----CLICK) and was totally blown away at their beauty, and how easy they were to create. Shelly Katzung, a/k/a Sugrnspicy, has graciously agreed to share her project process with the TLC group.

What you will need for today's project:

Metal washers: New are preferred as you won't have to take the time to clean them up first. These can be found at any hardware store and if you are lucky, perhaps your hubby has a few unused ones in his garage.
Cording
Crystal Effects, Crystal Lacquer or Glossy Accents
Patterned paper OR if you prefer, Alcohol Inks
Sanding tool or emery board
Glue - E6000 or other glue suitable for metal. I used Tombow Mono Metal Liquid Glue

This step is optional, but I wanted to include some instruction. Shelly very cleverly stamped on the back of her washers using metal stamps. Shelly mentioned that it would be a good idea to practice your metal stamping first, until you get the hang of how hard you need to pound and how many times you need to pound. Mark the sentiment with a black or colored Sharpie, and let dry. Then wipe away excess with cloth dampened with alcohol, or a baby wipe.

1. When you are ready to begin, trace the washer onto patterned paper, both the inside, and the outside.

2. Glue the paper onto the washer. Let your glue partially dry, and then using the sanding block or emery board, sand the edges, and using your finger, push the center inward, smoothing down the center edges. It was at this point that you would want to apply any special embellishments to your pendant.

3. Apply Crystal Effects or your preferred coating product, (I used Crystal Lacquer) making sure it is completely coated, without bubbles. You can use a toothpick or straight pin to pop any bubbles that might form.

4. Now here is the time consuming part. Put your pendant aside, lying FLAT and let it set for 24 hours without disturbing it. This is vital for a stunning shining and clear glazing for your piece.

5. After your piece has had adequate time to dry, attach your cording and you are ready to go!

Some ideas for created your designs are using simple rub-ons and alcohol inks. Shelly has some wonderful examples on her blog (has music on her blog - wanted you to know just so you aren't surprised) as well as a video linked from Creative Juice with wonderful visuals on how to complete this project.

How fun it would be to make a few of these for Christmas gifts! I cannot wait to see what creative ideas you come up with for this project. Your ingenuity always blows my mind.

To view my sample, CLICK HERE.

To view the gallery of Washer Pendant Necklaces, CLICK HERE

Be sure not to forget to include the keyword TLC249 when you upload your project so they will be included in the gallery.

HINT FOR NEXT WEEK: Shipping Tags will be needed as we transform them into something useful - aside from shipping things. =)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!