View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
suplayingwithpaper
Matboard Maniac

I have a cricut expressions which I adore and use exclusively with scal to cut jpgs & svgs. I also have a new craftrobo which is more or less the same machine as the wishblade & silhouette.

I loathe and detest the robo. It will only cut card not much thicker than SUs whisper white with a single pass. Anything thicker such as pti or su coloured card, bazill or textured needs a minimum of 2 passes and it's slower than the cricut. The paper input slot isn't as stable as the cricut and I've had the mat slipping and sliding about. I'm not keen on the software although the newer versions are far better than the original ones.

The only thing I will give the robo over the cricut & scal is that it picks up more of the edge detail. This though is a double edged sword if you like working with jpgs and/or paintshop pro images. With psp it makes the image in a similar way to doing a cross stitch picture, lots of teeny tiny squares. Great for straight lines but when you create a circle, even at a high dpi rate, the robo picks up on those tiny squares and you get a very fine serated edge unless you want to spend a lot of time editing the nodes in the robo software. This is so different to scal and the cricut which cuts a beautifully smooth line and you can get the machine cutting within moments of importing the file.

When my robo dies, it will go in the bin and I'll clap. When my expressions dies I'll instantly be online to replace it either like for like or if there's still little price difference I'll buy a Pazzles Inpspirations. The PI is very similar to the expressions but uses software similar to funtime. Uses the same mats and deepcut blade as the cricut but it has double the cutting power and you can buy embossing, engraving, distressing, piercing tools for it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!