Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #49
cdjkssss
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
here is the pattern:
Stratford Circle Afghan

Lion BrandŽ HomespunŽ

GAUGE:
Rnds 1 and 2 = 4 in. (10 cm) in diameter. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
COLOR SEQUENCE
Work 5 rnds of each color: A, B, C, D, for a total of 40 rnds.
AFGHAN
With A, ch 4, sl st in beg ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), work 11 dc into ring, join with sl st in top of beg ch — 12 sts.
Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in same st, 2 dc in each st around, join with sl st in top of beg ch — 24 sts.
Rnd 3: Ch 3, 2 dc in next st, * dc in next st, 2 dc in next st; rep from * around, join with sl st in top of beg ch — 36 sts.
Rnd 4: Ch 3, dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, * dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st; rep from * around, join with sl st in top of beg ch — 48 sts.
Rnd 5: Ch 3, dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st, * dc in next 3 sts, 2 dc in next st; rep from * around, join with sl st to top of beg ch — 60 sts.
Change to color B.
Rnds 6-40: Continue in pattern as established, increasing on every rnd and following color sequence. Fasten off.
EDGING
Join A with sl st anywhere along outside edge of Afghan. Work one rnd of sc evenly spaced around afghan. Join with sl st in first sc and fasten off. FINISHING
Weave in ends.

Check out the parts that I've highlighted in red above. Each row should have just 12 increases, right above the spots where you increased in the previous row. So in Round 6, you'll have 4 regular dc stitches in between each increase; in Round 7, you'll have 5, and so on. The "flat" part between increases widens in every round. And each round will have 12 more stitches than the previous round. Does that make sense?

ETA - for what it's worth, I've never been very happy with the quality of pattern-writing from Lion Brand. They frequently leave too much to the imagination.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!