View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
row4d
Stazon Splitcoast

While I've been a crocheter for 18 years now (taught myself from a book in the 7th grade after wanting to learn more than the chain stitch and single crochet that my mom knew), it's been taking a back seat to my stamping for about two years -- my yarn stash has been mostly sold at yard sales or donated, and my poor hooks have been feeling very neglected!

I started getting involved with crocheting for charity after I'd finished a layette for my boss' new granddaughter and wanted to keep working on baby items. First I made caps for the NICU at the local children's hospital, and that led to my being involved with a group called Afghans for Angels, which provides tiny crocheted and knitted layettes and afghans to hospitals and bereaved parents whose infants are miscarried or stillborn. Ironically, our chapter leader ended up needing the group's services seven years ago after losing her baby girl to a cord accident at 24 weeks. Never used to talk about it much as I worked on items at the hair salon because people would often give me weird looks if they found out I was making clothes for "dead babies," KWIM? Usually I just let them think I was making doll clothes or preemie caps. I wouldn't mind getting involved with a local chapter here, but none of their websites appear to be valid anymore.

Baby clothes and blankets in general are my preference, because the small size means quicker gratification with a finished product. I do want to try my hand at making a summerweight blanket for my bed, though -- just have to find a source for heavyweight cotton thread in the quantities I need that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!