View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
Lynn in St. Louis
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via AIM to Lynn in St. Louis
Default TLC241 - Faux Suede {10/5/09}

Hi TLC'ers. Today's technique has been around for a while. I've seen it on blogs, in the Technique Junkies newsletter and various other places, but I can't actually give credit to anyone in particular because I can't remember where I saw it first...just suffice it to say, I didn't create it, but I sure do love the look you can get from just manipulating cardstock a little.

Here is what you will need for today's technique:

Cardstock
The edge of a table or a bone folder

Yep, that's it. Here's the process:

* Cut your cardstock to the desired size you want for your piece of faux suede.

* The trick to achieving this look is to totally break down the fibers in the cardstock. This can be achieved in a variety of ways. You can run the cardstock along the edged of a table lengthwise and then turn your paper and do this again widthwise. You can also run your cardstock over your bone folder - much like the way you would run curling ribbon over your scissor edge to make it curl. I have even seen crafters run their cardstock through a paper crimper first one direction, then turning the cardstock and running it through the opposite way.

* Now beginning at the edge or corner, carefully peel away the layers, just like you would divide the layers of a two ply paper towel. What you end up with two pieces of cardstock that have the look of suede on one side. You can complete your project at this point in any way that you wish.

I can't wait to see the various ways you all come up with to use this technique. My project, which can be seen HERE uses the faux suede not only as a panel on my card, but I also use little scraps to punch flowers to embellish my card.

To view all of the samples using this technique, CLICK HERE. And don't forget to use TLC241 (no spaces) as a keyword when you upload your projects so they can be included in the gallery.

HINT FOR NEXT WEEK: Cardstock - no other special supplies are needed.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!