View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
Lynn in St. Louis
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via AIM to Lynn in St. Louis
Default TLC238 Faux Enamel {9/14/2009}

Hello all. I trust everyone had a rockin’ weekend! It's a new week and I have a fun technique to share with you today, so gets get to it!

Don’t you just love the look of enamel jewelery. They have so much depth and shine to them. They would make awesome embellishments, wouldn’t they? Well, today we are going to make some embellishments that aren’t enamel, but will certainly make the recipient take a second look.

I saw THIS POST by Jacquie Hefner where she had a tutorial on Faux Enamel Technique. Wow, was I blown away from the results that she achieved. You may certainly follow her tutorial and achieve similar results, but when I went to do my project I didn’t have any metallic crayons. (my baby is 25, and while I did have a container of really old crayons for company, I didn’t have any metallic ones. I even made a special trip to my local Walgreens, thinking for sure they would have some within the isles and isles of school supplies, but no luck) SO…I just continued on with what I had, and while I didn’t get the awesome metallic shimmer that Jacquie achieved, I was quite happy with my results just the same. Now I’m on the hunt for metallic crayons so I can try this again.

One thing that I DID do that helped give me a little shimmer was after I applied my crystal lacquer, I sprayed a fine mist of Glimmer Mist Gold onto the project. While you can’t see it in my photograph, the Glimmer Mist does give my butterflies a slight shimmer.

Here is a list of supplies that you will need for this technique:

1. Heat resistant surface (like Jacquie, I used my craft sheet), but make sure that what is under the craft sheet is ALSO heat resistant
2. Heat gun
3. Wax paper
4. Regular crayons
5. Metallic crayons (if you have ‘em use ‘em)
6. Pencil sharpener
7. White cardstock
8. Crystal Lacquer, Crystal Effects, Glossy Accents (or any type of clear finish)

Be sure to print out a copy of Jacquie’s directions if you have metallic crayons and want to complete her technique as she demonstrates. I had to go in a slightly different direction without my metallic crayons, so I completed her steps, but didn’t stamp on my item as she did so beautifully. Rather after my lacquer was dry (tick, tock, tick, tock…that stuff drys slowly) I used a Sizzix die and cut my shapes. Don’t get in a rush, but give your lacquer plenty of drying time…you will be so happy you did.

Jacquie has additional tips and hints about using this technique which can be found HERE She also wanted me to tell you that if you had any questions about her technique that you may e-mail her at jacquie@afterhoursstamper.com

To see my sample CLICK HERE.

To view the gallery of projects using this technique, CLICK HERE.

Be sure to add the keyword TLC238 (no spaces) when you upload your project so every one can enjoy the variety of projects you’re sure to create.

Hint for next week: Get out your circle punches and if you used all of your crystal lacquer on the project this week, stock up because we will need some next week too!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!