View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
Lynn in St. Louis
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via AIM to Lynn in St. Louis
Default TLC231 Quilling {7/27/09}

Surprise it's me. Yeah, I know I told you that someone familiar would be filling in for me for the next two Mondays, but I'm filling in for the filling in person - Beth (showmestamper). Beth had planned to be here today to bring you this fun TLC, however; she had a family emergency that required her to be out of town, so here I am - posting her project for her...as I grab my bags and head to the airport to catch my plane to CHA! I won't be around to answer questions you may have, and I feel bad that I'm leaving you with no guidance, but I'm confident that you all can participate together and work out any questions you may have between yourselves. I bet there are a few quillers out there already who will have all the answers. So are you ready? Beth has outlined today's challenge below:

Quilling is the art of paper filigree: creating coils and swirls from strips of paper and arranging them in a beautiful way. Here are just a FEW of the quilled items already in the gallery to give you some inspiration and get your creative juices going…..

Briarthyme: quilled Christmas tree

Karen T. : quilled sun, birds and fish

laburnett: lovely flowers and butterfly

souriremp: very elaborate and advanced flowers

GiddyGreetings: cute bumblebees

Marilynn: very elegant white on white flowers

archanapandurangi: bright and cheerful flowers

As you can see, you can create many different looks from the same technique. So how do we do it?? You can run to your local craft store and get some precut strips of paper and a quilling tool OR you can just run to your craft table. We can cut our own strips (any size really, but I would start with 1/8” or ¼” strips) using our paper cutter. Note that thinner cardstock works best for quilling and this is a great opportunity to use up some of that not-s-wonderful cardstock that you may have in your stash. Instead of a quilling tool, you can just use a round toothpick, a needle or a hat pin.

We have our tools and supplies, so let’s get started. Place the toothpick near the end of the paper strip and start winding the paper around the toothpick. You want the paper to wrap over itself so you have a stacked coil. When you reached the end of your paper, add a SMALL amount of paper glue to the end and adhere the end to the coil. This will make a tight coil. If you want a looser coil, simply release the tension on the coil a little before you glue it. A little practice goes a long way in creating coils. The hardest part of making coils is making many coils that are the same size; however, there are very inexpensive size guide tools available that make that easier too.

If you want to make shapes such a teardrop, simple pinch one side of the coil. A triangle is three pinches. You get the idea!

To glue the shapes to the card, again use a small amount of any paper glue.

So now that you have the basic idea, off you go! For even more inspiration, check out all the creations in the gallery already.

To see all the creations for TLC231 CLICK HERE.

Remember to use two keywords: TLC231 and quilling
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!