View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #566
Tilly
Insane Embellisher

Default Stamped scarves

I have made many of these scarves in the past few years, mostly as gifts, and they are always a hit. I buy cheap chiffon fabric, wash it, tear a strip about 12-15" wide (don't cut it - you want the fluffy edges, i.e. pull strands of the thread off the edges up to 1/4" all around), stamp as much as you like using Fabrico fabric ink, heat set by putting in the tumbledryer for awhile on hot (or iron carefully between 2 old kitchen towels or something similar), grab all your co-ordinating scraps of fibers and thin ribbon (you can knot them together if the bits aren't long enough - the knots won't show clearly when they're sewn over, and if they do they look like part of the design anyway!), cut fibers about 18-24" longer than the fabric so that you have loose bits hanging off both ends forming a fringe, bunch 3 or 4 different textures/colors of fibers/ribbon together, twist them together loosely, lay 7-8 bunches across the length of your fabric scarf and pin in a few places to hold in place while you sew. Zigzag sew down the bunches of fibers, spacing the bunches more or less evenly (see pics). When you've done one side, turn over and do the same on the other side (the sewing will be showing through so it's easier to see where to lay the fibers this time). You don't have to sew carefully over every little bit of fiber/ribbon - as long as there's enough sewing here and there to hold them in place. I also sometimes sew little charms, sequins and beads randomly onto the fibers afterwards to add a bit of sparkle. I'm terrible at describing things properly, but hope these pics of 2 of my own scarves below will explain things a bit better (or PM me if it's not clear and you want to ask a question). Anyway, they're worth the effort and are so lovely and soft and colorful for the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
scarf1.jpg   scarf-001.jpg   scarf-002.jpg  
Happy Fan Club member.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!