View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 03:07 AM   #1
Lynn in St. Louis
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via AIM to Lynn in St. Louis
Default TLC227 Faux Burnt Edges {6/29/09}

Hi everyone! This seems to be the month of Faux's as this is the 3rd Faux technique in a row. But I hope that you find this week's Faux technique fun and another addition to your arsenal of techniques. Today's technique is super easy to obtain and works wonderfully with vintage images, western themes, treasure maps, or anytime you want the look of something old and burnt. HA! You may have seen this technique on projects in the gallery and now you too can have the look of a pyromaniac without the hazard or the felony.

Today's technique is Faux Burnt Edges and with the aid of ink, we can achieve the look of burnt edges without the hazard of an open flame near your treasured craft supplies.

What you will need for this technique
cardstock - white or cream
sponge, dauber, or small piece of Cut and Dry Pad (I mentioned these last week too)
Dye inks (I used Ranger Distressing inks-Old Paper, Vintage Photo, & Memento's Tuxedo Black, ) in two or three shades of brown or sepia tone and a very dark soot or black ink.
A piece of scratch paper to protect your work surface

All right - let's get started

1. Begin with applying your lightest shade with your Cut and Dry pad (or applicator of your choice - see above) working in circular motions around the edges and working your way inward toward the center of your cardstock.. You may have to apply more than once to get a even and smooth appearance.

2. Next, using the same applicator, apply your next darker shade using the same application method described above except with this color work from the outside edges in towards the center about 1" to 1-1/2".

3. With your darkest shade load your applicator and apply this color to the outer edges inward to only about 1".

4. As a last step, using your very darkest shade, apply direct to paper from the pad around the edges of your cardstock. As you can see in my sample, I tore my edges and then applied my darkest shade. Tearing isn't required for this technique, but I just liked the way it looked with my project.

5. Now you can stamp your image and complete your card as desired.

NOTE: On my particular project, I stamped my image first before beginning the technique, but that is because I wanted the horse's head to enter from the side of the cardstock. Only you can decide if you need to stamp your focal image before or after you do the technique, which will all depend of your images.

I can't wait to see what you all create with this technique.

If you would like to view my sample CLICK HERE.

To see the entire gallery of projects using this technique, CLICK HERE.

And if that's not enough examples, check out how Lisa S used the technique HERE, or this one by sissiesmom, or THIS TREASURE by semura 71

Don't forget to use the keyword TLC227 (NO SPACES) when you upload your projects.

HINT FOR NEXT WEEK: Find some 12 X 12 paper for a fun and EASY fold. (really - it's simple)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!