View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 02:50 AM   #1
Lynn in St. Louis
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via AIM to Lynn in St. Louis
Default TLC216 Metal Stamping {4/13/09}

Hi everyone, and welcome to another Try a New Technique -Technique Lover's Challenge. I hope that you either saved a soda pop can or have one you can drink so that you will be able to join me in today's challenge. Today's suggested challenge comes from squirrellyshirley and krischir. krischir has some great creations using pop cans and punches which you can see HERE.

I also found THIS project by Ruthie Williams, which is what I patterned my sample card after to today. I though - how fun, and using supplies that most of us should have around the house. So you say you don't drink cola? No worries, because I'd be willing to bet that someone in your neighborhood does ... just ask them for an empty can.

What you will need for today's technique:
Soda can, empty and rinsed
Scissors (I used my SU! rubber cutting shears...not sure if it hurt them, but the blades looked tough, so I think I'm ok)
Stazon Ink
and of course cardstock and other normal supplies to complete a card of your choice

First, going in through the opening in the top of the can, cut down toward the side so that you will be able to get your scissors in and cut the top off of the can. Then, cut down one side and cut off the bottom as well. I was really surprised how thin they are making soda cans now day, and had a concern that the metal would be sharp, but it wasn't. No fingers were harmed in the creation of these instructions.

I then flattened the sheet out as much as possible without crinkling it. The sheet tends to remain in it's curved shape even after cutting, so I chose the flattest section on which to stamp my image using Stazon Ink (or any other brand suitable for stamping on nonporous surfaces). I heat set my image, but be careful as the metal will heat up from using a heat gun. You could also just let the ink dry for a while...but you know how impatient I am. After cooling, I then cut out the image and embellished at will.

I used several glue dots to attach my metal to my card, although I'm sure a glue suitable for metal would work just as well...I was just impatient and wanted instant results. To add color to your image, you can use any color medium that will adhere to a non-porous surface.

So there you have it. I'm sure you creative ladies will find all sorts of wonderful images or punches to create a little not-so-heavy-metal. Smaller images would make great charms, or experiment with some alcohol inks for unique backgrounds, but above all have fun in your creative process.

I look forward to seeing all your creations!
As always, I am in search of suggestions for techniques for future TLCs! Please PM with suggestions and a link to the directions and/or a sample if you can. Thanks!

To view my sample card, CLICK HERE

To view the gallery of cards using this technique, CLICK HERE

REMEMBER to add TLC216 (no spaces) as a keyword for your uploads using this technique.

HINT FOR NEXT WEEK - You'll need some Gesso - which is a primer of sorts which can be found at Michaels or any art supply store. In my crafting I use gesso to prime chipboard before stamping or adding other paints to it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!