View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #239
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Thursday, April 9, 2009 12:36 PM, CDT

Hello all,

Sicily is doing good...no transfusion needed today. Her hemoglobin is the same level today as it was last Monday. Her ANC counts were around 12,000...yes, way too high. That is just showing that the bottom is about ready to drop out. Her counts will nose dive here shortly and her Neupogen shots (which if I haven't explained before are called GCSF - granulocyte colony stimulating factor) will hopefully start their job and bring her white counts up. When her body starts to focus it's energy on raising the white counts, sometimes other things suffer...like her hemoglobin. So, come next Tuesday when we go to the clinic for a CBC, she may need a transfusion then.

I'm past the thought of that being a "negative" thing. I recently came in contact via email a very sweet woman who has been a loyal blood donor for many years, basically since she was old enough to start donating. She said she has donated over thirteen gallons of blood in her lifetime, as it has always been "the right thing to do." Now that she has seen Sicily and knows this little gal is in need of blood from time to time, she can put a face and a name with the reason of why she is doing it. I've come to the realization that in there lies some sense of comfort for me...a strangers blood running through my daughters veins, helping to sustain her life! Someone, somewhere shared something of themselves to help someone they will most likely never meet! I get emotional just thinking of how so many people in so many different ways have helped us along on this journey.

Stories like the one I just shared are truly moving to me. I have others to share, as well, but I will spread them out a little. I have emailed back and forth to several people lately that I have recently realized and come to a sort of an understanding about Sicily's cancer...it is a "blessing in disguise!" The disease of cancer, itself, is not the blessing. It's the acts of kindness and outpouring of compassion that are the blessings. God doesn't "do this" or "give that" to us for any specific reasons. These types of life circumstances are not meant to be punishments or penalties for anything! They are what they are...circumstances. The key to surviving them is to look deep into what can come from them. I am amazed each and every day by the number of people, young and old, local and geographically distant who are feeling the shock waves from Sicily's illness and are moved to act in some way! If that is not a blessing, hidden behind the word "cancer"...I don't know what is! Everyone have a good day.

Kerry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!