View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #80
just_v
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by casslarson View Post
Hi everyone!
I posted a card today using this technique on my blog. I'd love for you to check it out. I know that I have always thought it kinda wierd to leave a white space - so I like constant color. But I think my shading could be better. Would LOVE critique on that - please, please be honest - I can take it and it's the only way I'll get better!!
Hi Cassie;

The card is very cute! You're doing great!

What "technique" are you using for your coloring? Loaded question, I know. When you put your color in before you ever pick up your stumps, how do you go about it? I think that might help us understand how to best help you with your shading.

In general, look at the little girl and think about where natural shadows would fall no matter where the light is coming from. For instance, the edges of her dress where the coat overlaps it would have some shading so I would make the edges there just a bit darker than the hem of the dress.

Actual shading can be as easy as going back and adding another layer of color on top of what you've blended out in the areas where you want your shading. You can also go with a darker tone pencil or even into the lighter grey families.

V