View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 02:06 AM   #230
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Saturday, April 4, 2009 4:34 PM, CDT

Hello,

I don't usually update too much on the weekends, but I just wanted to jump on here as I'm still full of emotion for a number of reasons. Sicily is doing well, handling her treatments as good as we could hope for. Daddy is on hospital duty for the weekend, but the kids and I ran up to visit them anyway.

I had a special delivery to make that I knew she would want to have. It was an early birthday gift from our special pal, Phyllis the dog. And boy, is it something. It's a HUGE, precious, look alike stuffed lab that could easily be mistaken for Phyllis' twin. Sicily was so excited! Just as she finished opening her gift, I was going to take Elias down the hall to meet Esther as they are going home today. I opened the door and to my surprise, there was Esther and her mom. She was being wheeled around in a wheel chair handing out Easter eggs to other patients. That's Esther for ya! Please continue the prayers for her...the latest news isn't good. I just love her and her family. Amazing people! We've invited them to Sicily's birthday party next Saturday and they may try to come if Esther feels good enough.

I go back to what I've said before...God puts people in our paths for reasons! Like our relationship with Glenda Jackson and her dog, Phyllis. Glenda feels helpless, as I know many do, in the realm of childhood cancer. So she knits, and as she knits she prays with Phyllis by her side. We received a box of beautiful, colorful knitted berets (thirteen total) from Glenda that she made for Sicily to share with others. We gave one to Esther this morning, the same color green as one that Sicily decided to keep, as well. We are the grateful benefactors to the thoughtful generosity of such people. It is an amazing thing and we will never be able to thank everyone enough!

There is always something that can be done for others going through what we are going through, in big ways and in small. Sometimes it's the smallest gestures that mean the most! A lady made and brought a bunch of soft little fleece pillows to the hospital to give to these special little patients. Sicily has been sleeping with hers since receiving it Thursday morning. We were visited yesterday by a troop of little Girl Scout Brownies that had made colorful flowers out of tissue paper and handmade Easter cards. Sicily carried hers around on a walk after she received them. I offered to carry them for her, but she insisted...they were special to her.

On one of our walks yesterday afternoon, we passed by a room with the door wide open. A teenage boy was casually propped up on the couch with his ipod plugged in as he was reading a book. He wasn't a patient...he appeared to be a visitor though the room was absent of any other people at the time. I could tell each time Sicily and I passed the room, he would look up at us. By about the third or forth passing, I heard him ask, "How old is she?" We stopped and turned around and I answered, "she will be four in a couple of weeks." Without saying another word, he shook his head as if to say, "What a shame" and turned back to his book. It was one of those surreal moments. A teenage boy, probably fifteen or sixteen years old, pondering what was before him. He didn't have to say anything to understand the magnitude of the sight. It still made me smile as we continued down the hall. That kid could have easily ignored us and not shown any amount of concern, but I can still visualize his shaking head, and I respond internally to myself with, "Ya, I know!" Maybe the sight of Sicily will stay with him, and maybe it will inspire him in some way or another someday. All the biggest trees in the world started out as little seeds themselves at one time. I'm hoping to plant seeds all over the place so I can grow a forest of awareness for pediatric cancer. I know that may sound corny, but if you were walking in my shoes and seeing and feeling what I am seeing and feeling... you'd become an advocate, too! Love to you all and thank you for continuing all the support and prayers!

Kerry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!